• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WTB 1964 361 VALVE COVERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red63440

Local time
7:03 AM
Reaction score
My 64 Fury has chrome valve covers and a chrome air cleaner I would like to replace the chrome valve covers with factory style painted valve covers. I would imagine that 361 and 383 valve covers from those years would be the same. NO junk please......

My 64 Fury has chrome valve covers and a chrome air cleaner I would like to replace the chrome valve covers with factory style painted valve covers. I would imagine that 361 and 383 valve covers from those years would be the same. NO junk please......

We have a pair of original stock painted v/covers.. but they were removed from a 65 361 Dodge Coronet that we fully parted out. I don't know if they are the same as 64 covers, but
you can ask here on the site, as someone may know.

I have a nice 4 bolt set from a early 64 361 I parted. They will clean-up very nice. PM if interested..

I have a nice 4 bolt set from a early 64 361 I parted. They will clean-up very nice. PM if interested..

Thanks for the confirmation on the valve covers.. as I wasn't sure when Chrysler
went from 4 to 6 bolt valve covers.

as I wasn't sure when Chrysler
went from 4 to 6 bolt valve covers.

More importantly, I would think... What are your heads??? '63 was a pivotal year for the 4 to 6 bolt changeover, IIRC.

Car is en route from Las Vegas, guess I will have to wait and see since I can't tell from the photos I have.

More importantly, I would think... What are your heads??? '63 was a pivotal year for the 4 to 6 bolt changeover, IIRC.
Being a 64 does that mean they would be 6 bolt?

I have a set of the imperial covers with the wire looms. If you don’t mind cutting those off you can have them for free. You get to pay for shipping though, or if you ever go east to CT you could pick them up.

I did some digging last night and based on the year they are showing 516 castings. The chrome valve covers on the car now look fairly new, not sure how many places offer new 4 bolt 361/383 valve covers for sale so I will assume 6 bolt.

361 engine.jpg

If it’s a ‘64 they are 6 bolt. Same for 516 castings.

Can any confirm whether or not just like all other early models that no 64 had 4 bolt valve covers cause the car I parted had them and it was pretty much un molested 64 4 dr back in the late 80's... I have come to terms I will never use them....

There’s a certain group that will always say, “Chrysler did funny things back then”. I think there were fewer funny things than people think. Production control, even in the 60’s was pretty good and new models got new stuff. The last thing customers want is last year’s stuff. A good thing to remember is that the reliability wasn’t nearly as good back then. Some major repairs happened early in the life of some of these cars. Looking at what appears to be an “unmolested” car usually can actually be a look at a car with some significant work.

My ‘64 Sport Fury was “unmolested” when I got it, or you’d think so if I didn’t have the full maintenance record. It actually got new rings under warranty at 37000 miles in ‘67. It also got a valve job at 70000. When I took off the heads I found the casting dates were years apart. Something was swapped.

So with that anecdote as a lead-in, I feel confident saying all ‘64s had 6 bolt covers.

There’s a certain group that will always say, “Chrysler did funny things back then”. I think there were fewer funny things than people think. Production control, even in the 60’s was pretty good and new models got new stuff. The last thing customers want is last year’s stuff. A good thing to remember is that the reliability wasn’t nearly as good back then. Some major repairs happened early in the life of some of these cars. Looking at what appears to be an “unmolested” car usually can actually be a look at a car with some significant work.

My ‘64 Sport Fury was “unmolested” when I got it, or you’d think so if I didn’t have the full maintenance record. It actually got new rings under warranty at 37000 miles in ‘67. It also got a valve job at 70000. When I took off the heads I found the casting dates were years apart. Something was swapped.

So with that anecdote as a lead-in, I feel confident saying all ‘64s had 6 bolt covers.

I understand that and I know 64's "mostly" were 6 Bolt it's why I put "early" 361.... but I was wanting to know did they use the stuff they had into early models even back in 63 to deplete it into 64 like they did with other models every year... Like an EARLY 71 Plymouth RR/Sat/Gtx could have metal seat hinge covers but a late one has solid plastic with-out the metal hinge covers. An early one has a 4 bolt hole console top plate while a later one has a 5 bolt hole... These 2 items were carried over from 70 and used early in 71.... I am Not saying these valve covers were not swapped for some reason but IIRC the head castings were 4 bolt too...

I understand the logic in the idea they wanted to use up stock etc. I can’t discount that either, it may have happened that way. They were fairly rigid with the parts catalogs though and had a customer focus. Most of the partial year changes are captured in the catalogs, this one isn’t. From a company perspective would you want someone to call requesting a part you were going to mail out and get the wrong thing? It’s certainly something we won’t resolve here. I’d love to see a few late July or early August ‘63 engines to see what they had.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Auto Transport Service
Back