• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 4 spd speedometer gears

wannadrag

Local time
8:19 AM
Reaction score
Well it was so nice out today i gave the Belvedere a bath and took a 10 mile cruise.I kinda figured with the gear change the speedo would be way off and it is.It has 4.10 hears with a 28" tall tire and the early 64 style 4 spd.what do i need to do to get the speedo to read accurate?

Attachments

• MVC-059S.JPG
    MVC-059S.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,226
Are the later 833s the same as the early 64 style trans?

Look,s like the pre 66 manual transmissions with the ball and trunion had a smaller speedo pinion, gear #,s are for 66 to 74 transmissions according to a couple of parts books I,ve checked

Just checked an old direct connection performance book listing a pinion #2204358 dark blue for 28.5" tire and 4:10 gear with an asterisk to use an adapter pt# 2464421 available from stewart warner .800 to 1 ratio. The DC book was printed in 1980.

If you have a smart phone they have apps that use GPS and show MPH that covers the whole screen (pretty large).

My phone is a Droid and Speedview is a free app. Pretty cool in that it shows distance traveled, moving time, sitting time, 0-60 and quarter mile times as well!

Mine will be velcroed to the dash! LOL!

speedo gears

Check with a ford dealer(ugh)I was told some time ago they had gears that were the same as chrysler.

Anyone else?

Yep, I do the same as this too -

If you have a smart phone they have apps that use GPS and show MPH that covers the whole screen (pretty large).

My phone is a Droid and Speedview is a free app. Pretty cool in that it shows distance traveled, moving time, sitting time, 0-60 and quarter mile times as well!

Mine will be velcroed to the dash! LOL!

For what it's worth...got a service manual? If not a 64 manual, a 65, that's probably real near the same. Checking my set-up, ran into the same stuff.
In the service manual, under transmissions, for each trans type...there's a speedo chart.

I tried that home-made chart for mine, giving a totally different gear needed. SM chart...spot on for the gear I already had.

Speedo gear

Well it was so nice out today i gave the Belvedere a bath and took a 10 mile cruise.I kinda figured with the gear change the speedo would be way off and it is.It has 4.10 hears with a 28" tall tire and the early 64 style 4 spd.what do i need to do to get the speedo to read accurate?

Here is a chart that should help.

The chart shows a 18 tooth with a .75 ratio adapter for 4.10 with a 28" tire.

Jeff

1962-1965-speedometer-pinion-gear-chart.jpg

Here is a chart that should help.

The chart shows a 18 tooth with a .75 ratio adapter for 4.10 with a 28" tire.

Jeff
I was going to quote the same chart. I still have no idea what the ratio adaptor is for. Brewer's has the pinions for the 62 to 65. Bring your wallet. I just replaced mine and happen to have an 18 tooth in my parts box. Message me if you are interested, you are on your own with yhe adaptor.

Mark

View attachment 281519

the ratio reducers are just a small gear reduction device that bolts to the transmission. they've been around for decades. i use one on my 65 coronet.

I know that this is an old thread, however I want to thank 'ply64post' for posting the 1962-1965 speedometer pinion chart.
I found out that I am running the correct speedometer gear for my 1964 Dodge 440 426 Street Wedge with a A833 4 speed running with 26" diameter tires and 3.91 rear gears, 19 Teeth.

I know that this is an old thread, however I want to thank 'ply64post' for posting the 1962-1965 speedometer pinion chart.
I found out that I am running the correct speedometer gear for my 1964 Dodge 440 426 Street Wedge with a A833 4 speed running with 26" diameter tires and 3.91 rear gears, 19 Teeth.

Glad to help.

lewtot184---I not sure what you are talking about-.75 ratio reducer?
Could you explain or show a photo?
My 64 Dodge came from the factory with a 426 Street Wedge, A833 4 speed, 3.91 sure grip and a 19Tooth speedometer gear installed.
Do I still need this .75 ratio reducer?

This is one of the reasons why I converted my 64 to a 66 and later transmission. It uses the later speedometer gears and splined output shaft.

Auto Transport Service
Back