• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Belvedere instrument cluster into 1964 Polara

Odmark91

Local time
8:20 AM
Reaction score
Hello! Will a 1964 Plymouth Belvedere instrument cluster bolt into a 1964 Polara? Both mechanically and electrically? Or do i need to splice cables and swap out connectors?

I got an instrument cluster included with some other parts i bought, and now i realised i kind of like it more than the Polara cluster. I also would like to integrate the Tachometer in the Plymouth cluster.

It can be done get a manual of the Canadian polora. Then match up yours to it and go for it. You might be able to get someone on here that has a copy or make a copy from their book. I would also like to do that swap as soon as I can find the dash. Good luck

Odmark91,I believe bearman is correct.Possible you may not have to do any additional wiring.
Wanted to share a photo of a 64 Plymouth Belvedere gauge cluster with a tach installed.
Redline Gauge Works did it for me.Looks factory.
IMG_1485.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG

The electrical connectors are different to the circuit board. If I remember correctly, the U.S. Polara harness has a circular connector, while the Plymouth has 2 flat ones. I am sure that the color coded wires serve the same circuits, so it would be a matter of releasing the wires from the connectors and swapping them around. The clusters will physically interchange since the dash frame is the same between Dodge and Plymouth. The "grain" of the plastic cluster face is different between the two, so you would need the shifter and heater button pieces as well. The Fury and Polara radio faces and glove compartment doors carry over these different "grains" as well. Free wiring diagrams are available on the internet, if you look for them. Classic Industries sells an aftermarket tach that replaces the clock in the 1964 Plymouth instrument cluster. 1964 Canadian Dodges all used the Plymouth instrument panel.

1964 Dodge.jpg

I just completed this exact same swap. A few Items to note. Dodge dash has an 8 pin connector. Plymouth dash has 2 - 5 pin connectors. The orange and black wires need to be spliced and jumped from one of the 5 pin connectors to the other 5 pin connector. The trans push button and heater housings are slightly different also. The difference being in the lighting. A visual will help to see the differences. You could still use the Dodge housings, but the lighting may be impacted. I have home made schematic(s) which I can post. Make sure you have GOOD grounds. I had to run a separate ground to the dash housing. If any one is interested, I now have a complete Polara (American) dash, with bezels etc. which includes a Dash in Tach from Year One for sale. I also have a lot of Plymouth (64) bezels as well. If you need more info, shoot me a note.

Auto Transport Service
Back