• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Console plate 4-speed

rolling_Thunder

Local time
6:55 AM
Reaction score
So I have a 4-speed console plate for my 64 Polara project (going to a 4-speed swap) and it has the nice big hole in it for the factory instrument.... Which begins my question

What originally went here? I assume a tach? I've seen other consoles with clocks and even a vacuum gauge... so what were the original options on that piece?

Also - thinking about ditching the console all together - any idea what a good condition 4-speed top plate is worth ?

I have seen a tachometer, and a vacuum gauge, but not a clock. This is just what I have seen, I'm not saying a clock wasn't available there as well. I was assuming clocks were in the dash.

If it didn't have a tach it had a delete plate! The top plate value depends on the condition! If it has a lot of pitting it's not worth a whole lot A nice one any where from $75.00 to ? depends how bad some one wants it!

how bout posting a few pics?
it'll remove alot of speculation!

Just bought a entire console out of a 65' to use in my 64' ( their the same) ,came with the floor mounts as well -$200 bucks. Chrome was somewhat pitted but it was complete . There is a delete plate ,kinda looks like cross hair pattern if i remember correctly. I'll see if i can put up a pic of the delete plate when i get back to the shop.

Just bought a entire console out of a 65' to use in my 64' ( their the same) ,came with the fl

IMG_20191226_143626.jpg IMG_20191226_143626.jpg

Good to know - the delete plate is missing from mine - even my factory console -- any idea where I would look to see if it was originally equipped with a block off or a tach? I need to go diving for the buildsheet but was curious if there were any telltale signs otherwise - factory wiring to the console maybe ?

Not sure if the factory wired in provisions ( to be used or not) for a tach in the stock wiring . My car was a bench seat / no console car previously and to be honest I never took notice of the wiring beyond console lights and gear indicator light in the donor car. Truthfully ,I thought that a clock was the option for that spot only to find out later there was a tach available. Was a clock an option ?. Doesn't seem like a spot for a well positioned tach.

Last edited:
Just bought a entire console out of a 65' to use in my 64' ( their the same) ,came with the floor mounts as well -$200 bucks. Chrome was somewhat pitted but it was complete . There is a delete plate ,kinda looks like cross hair pattern if i remember correctly. I'll see if i can put up a pic of the delete plate when i get back to the shop.
Bought it right for sure!

A factory tachometer was available as an option and a “Performance Indicator” could be ordered from the dealer’s Parts counter. If you’re omitting your console, I’ll give you $100 for the top plate—sight unseen.

So I have a 4-speed console plate for my 64 Polara project (going to a 4-speed swap) and it has the nice big hole in it for the factory instrument.... Which begins my question

What originally went here? I assume a tach? I've seen other consoles with clocks and even a vacuum gauge... so what were the original options on that piece?

Also - thinking about ditching the console all together - any idea what a good condition 4-speed top plate is worth ?

$200 for your 4-speed plate and I’ll pay the shipping. Simply need one to complete my project.

That's a good price ilm65 hope you get it.
I believe I will let my auto console go with the trans and Frank Lipo stall convo and save some money.
I am going 4 speed also but does not need to be original for me. Good luck.

Original 4 speed top plates are extremely hard to find. Last one I saw for sale was cracked at the tach hole and then welded back together and it was $400. Being from Canada $400 USD with exchange and shipping is close to $600.

i saw the plate from ABC. doesn't look bad. But you need to paint it. it was a 64 b body.

Auto Transport Service
Back