• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge stock steel hood weight?

Dan64

Local time
2:41 AM
Reaction score
I did a search but was unable to find out any info, does anyone know how much a stock 64' steel hood weighs?. Info on other stock steel body parts/ bumpers would be helpful also. Thanks

I weighed my steel 62 hood, and I thought I remembered around 75 lbs. I was told by others here, that I was full of s#%t. I know it's not light. My factory Sixpack glass hood is almost 35 lbs.
If I had to guess..... a race weight glass hood will save about 40 lbs.from a steel hood. I think front and rear glass bumpers can save about 25 lbs apiece.

My 64 Plymouth hood was 58lbs. The pair of hinges 11lbs. AAR hood unpainted with no scoop 21lbs

My 64 Plymouth hood was 58lbs. The pair of hinges 11lbs. AAR hood unpainted with no scoop 21lbs
Without getting into the madness behind my '65's weight loss. I'll just reflect on the two items asked about on here.
By comparison between Dodge and Plymouth's either in the '64 or '65 variants, the Plymouths were always lighter. Probably because of their slightly smaller wheel bases and body lines and lengths.
More or less in the ballpark, my stock '65 steel hood as from the factory weighed 68 Lbs. The pair of stock steel fenders weighed 58 Lbs. The pair of hood hinges were 13-1/4 Lbs.
The '64 front bumpers on the Dodges were heavier than their sibling Plymouths of the same year. More compound bends and real estate on the bumper facades.
Dodge 500 and 440 trimmed models weighed more than the poverty 330 models because of their ornamental trim packages added to the body lines, trunk lids and hood.
The Plymouth Fury, Satellite and Belvedere models weighed more than the poverty Savoy models for similar reasons. Pick your battles.

Thanks for the replies guys, that's some good infomation worth having. A couple of other things i was wondering about, How much does a early b body bucket seat weigh?, rear seat top or bottom weight?. Would Glasstek bolt on hood be the best choice for fiberglass hood replacement ( mostly street car)?. And lastly are there any threads that go into detail about 64,65 Dodge/ Plymouth weight loss. Thanks for all responses.

I have 2 friends with Glasstek 64 Dodge hoods. They are very nice. Just under 30lbs if I remember correctly.
Doug

Thanks for the replies guys, that's some good infomation worth having. A couple of other things i was wondering about, How much does a early b body bucket seat weigh?, rear seat top or bottom weight?. Would Glasstek bolt on hood be the best choice for fiberglass hood replacement ( mostly street car)?. And lastly are there any threads that go into detail about 64,65 Dodge/ Plymouth weight loss. Thanks for all responses.
Dan.
You would have to dive deep into another mopar forum that I have chosen not to engage in anymore to get all the gory details on weight loss for these cars. The list is extensive. It all depends on how bad you want the lard taken off. The usual take off/deletes and replaced with store bought items will yield you a couple of hundred pounds more or less, but the unusual mad scientist rabbit hole will remove 500 to 600 pounds.

" it's not the one place to take off a 100 lbs, but the one hundred places to take off 1 lb."

" it's not the one place to take off a 100 lbs, but the one hundred places to take off 1 lb."
True, but taking 100 lbs off in one place is quicker.
(If I change from street wheels and tires to skinnies and slicks on light wheels, and remove the street exhaust, I can lose 140 lbs.)

True, but taking 100 lbs off in one place is quicker.
(If I change from street wheels and tires to skinnies and slicks on light wheels, and remove the street exhaust, I can lose 140 lbs.)
Agreed, but in some cases looks trumps low hanging fruit, like ditching a nice stock bumper for a flappy painted glass bumper. I like to keep the image of a big fat stock car, that's fast.

Agreed, but in some cases looks trumps low hanging fruit, like ditching a nice stock bumper for a flappy painted glass bumper. I like to keep the image of a big fat stock car, that's fast.
I like the concept, but I've never managed to have a fast car that doesn't look fast. Probably cause they are all little foreign cars with V8s swapped in.....

I like the concept, but I've never managed to have a fast car that doesn't look fast. Probably cause they are all little foreign cars with V8s swapped in.....
Definitely an area of differing interpretations. When I see a stock appearing 14 sec Road Runner actually running 10 ohs, I consider it fast.
Another set of eyes will look at that and say, if you cut half the car off it, you'll be an 8.50. Now that's fast. Then the last guy will go, if you're not running 6.20s, you're a slow turd.
Maybe it's achieving something, within a set of parameters.

Definitely an area of differing interpretations. When I see a stock appearing 14 sec Road Runner actually running 10 ohs, I consider it fast.
Another set of eyes will look at that and say, if you cut half the car off it, you'll be an 8.50. Now that's fast. Then the last guy will go, if you're not running 6.20s, you're a slow turd.
Maybe it's achieving something, within a set of parameters.
That sounds like stock eliminator. I am tremendously impressed with how hard they run under the restrictions they have. Same with F.A.S.T. cars.
My problem is I want my cars to run 6.50 1/8ths, and they look like 5 sec. cars...... (and one was).

That sounds like stock eliminator. I am tremendously impressed with how hard they run under the restrictions they have. Same with F.A.S.T. cars.
My problem is I want my cars to run 6.50 1/8ths, and they look like 5 sec. cars...... (and one was).
Light makes might and makes it fast to last for a long time.

I have removed or replaced the following
Bumpers
Front clip
Bumper brackets
Hood hinges
Truck hinges
Started the hole saw thing on the interior
Cyt the k frame
Removed brackets not really needed
Gas tank removed
Removed rear seat
Things added
Roll bar
Frame connections
Relocation kit installing now
Added 15 gallon gas tank aluminum
In a thousand pieces doing body work. See it in two years.
For revert pound I add I try to loose it somewhere else. Lots of work for a few hundred pounds.
Everyone have fun end result is going to be great.
I would also like to thank everyone for inputs on the good and bad.

To determine the weight of the hood, first weigh the car with the hood closed, then weigh it with the hood open and subtract from your first measurement.

Auto Transport Service
Back