• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge tail light assemblies all the same?

6t4polara

Local time
2:21 PM
Reaction score
1964 Dodge b body automobile is there any difference between the 330,440,Polara and Polara500 tail lights.
This being the chrome outer piece, plastic insert and gasket. Do they interchange doesn't make sense there would be different assemblies for each model.

Thanks,

1964 Dodge b body automobile is there any difference between the 330,440,Polara and Polara500 tail lights.
This being the chrome outer piece, plastic insert and gasket. Do they interchange doesn't make sense there would be different assemblies for each model.

Thanks,
The Polara 500 used a chrome panel that the others didn't which allowed the bezels to lay against a flat surface. I've been told ,but can't confirm that the 330 or maybe 440 outer bezels? where different ,do to conforming to the car's body and not the flat chrome panel. Maybe some of the 330 , 440 guys could clarify.

The 330, 440 tail lights are an individual light! Where the 500s were 3 light assembly The Canadian built cars had a two light bezel similar to the 500 style for the 440 model.

The 330, 440 tail lights are an individual light! Where the 500s were 3 light assembly The Canadian built cars had a two light bezel similar to the 500 style for the 440 model.
Yes, all three light buckets were joined on the Polara and not separate as the others where. Although i believe there is some slight differences on the outer? light bezels themselves.

The Canadian 440 model is the same as Polara/Polara 500

I randomly gathered one of each, the complete one is from a 330 and the lone bezel was from a 500. Other than the mounting, 330 had studs and nuts on all while the 500's had a random mix of studs/nuts and countersunk screws. Both bezels have the same part number of 2424224. I will go grab a complete 500 tail lights and look at the end ones.

1964 Dodge bezel.jpg

Upon further investigation, and after seeing Jeff's post above, here is some more info. I looked at about 8 of these things and there are some differences. The curved end pieces did have a different part number 2424222 and there is a photo showing those 2 at a different angle. The stud lengths on the 330 versus the 500 were about 3/8" different. 330 at 5/8" and the 500 at 1" and there is a photo of that also.

64 curved tail light.jpg
64 stud difference.jpg

There are actually 3 different square bezels. There is one that is flat on mounting surface to mount on larger chrome base on Polara and Polara 500 (and Canadian 440). This would also be used for inside tail light that mounts on flat surface on body of 330 & 440. There are also separate left and right curved bezels to match the slight body curve when these are mounted directly to outside position on body of 330 and 440 U.S. models. Reproductions of each are available from Jim Kramer.

Yes, i've seen Canada, but i've never seen "Canadian "440 tail light panel in person.

looking for tail light Bezels for 1964 Dodge Polara 500 must be excellent condition.
NOS would be nice also lenses and gaskets.

Thanks,

These were the lights that came on my '64 50th Anniversary model. Originally the center light was the backup light. I changed the center lens and converted the lights to sequential operation.

IMG_5956a.jpg

looking for tail light Bezels for 1964 Dodge Polara 500 must be excellent condition.
NOS would be nice also lenses and gaskets.

Thanks,
I bought the last two reproduced bezels that Jim Kramer had a couple of years ago at Indy Swap Meet. He kind of talked like he might have another run of these made. It was about a week later that Covid reared its ugly head, so maybe his plans changed. Repro lenses are available from him or Joe Suchy at $50 each. Failing that, I have a good set of used ones ( 4 red, 2 white ) for $125, the set. Detroit Muscle Technologies have Tail light and other gaskets for 1964 Dodges.

A little known fact: Dodge had originally planned on the Polara 500 to have 3 red tail lights on each side, instead of red, white, red, but this got dropped before production. The factory parts manual shows the large base plate with 3 dark (red) lenses for Polara 500. The factory shop manual shows a separate, different 3 tail light circuit for Polara 500 in body wiring schematic. In addition, there was different body trim planned, with sill and wheel well moldings similar to '63 Polara 500 or '65 Coronet 500. The wider center trim moldings were to be eliminated as well, but this too was dropped.

Auto Transport Service
Back