• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Dodge Turquoise

Dan64

Local time
7:13 AM
Reaction score
Was "Light turquoise" actually darker than "Medium Turquoise" in 1964?. It sure sounds like a stupid question ( i've asked stupider believe me) but i just got both colors mixed in a rattle can from my local paint shop and the light was darker than the medium. At first i figured they somehow switched the printed labels by accident but on line i have saw a couple samples that seem to verify it, anyone know?.

For 64, I’ve only seen medium turquoise poly and dark turquoise poly for exterior colors. Both of them are a metallic color.

For 64, I’ve only seen medium turquoise poly and dark turquoise poly for exterior colors. Both of them are a metallic color.
The light turquoise may have been a 880 model only color,not sure.

image.jpg
View attachment 933852 View attachment 933852 View attachment 933852

The rm and ppg # 's for "Light turquoise" match "Silver turquoise" another Chrysler color. Don't ya love how both colors in the chart above are indicated as "K",

Maybe the dark turquoise is a Plymouth color. Not my car.
3D2AC236-A0CB-4C4B-AA92-003315100A1B.jpeg

The way Chrysler named and coded the turquoise colors between Chrysler , Dodge , Plymouth can get confusing quickly.It's like the different divisions didn't even talk to each other.

Does that look like 64 dodge medium turquoise ?. I’m sure this car was re sprayed during its restoration. Not mine ,internet pic .

One reason being is that they were in competition with each other.

I found out years ago when choosing the paint for my 69 Coronet, that Dodge and Plymouth often had two different names for the same colors with the same paint code numbers. No wonder it gets confusing...

Here is Dark Turquoise I am painting the wife Dart Ragtop tomorrow. Yes the turquoise colors get really confusing... I know as I was researching for the Dart.

Also here is the dash I restored with what I believe is medium and dark turquoise. I had the original matched at the local auto paint store.

DSC_0476.jpg

... DSC_0061.jpg

Last edited:
Dan are you going turquoise.

Here is Dark Turquoise I am painting the wife Dart Ragtop tomorrow. I have not heard the term "Light Turquoise" before. It is usually called Aqua for the light. Yes the turquoise colors get really confusing... I know as I was researching for the Dart.

View attachment 933886 ...
Look up 64 dart code for turquoise was aaa send it at the mopar show here in Phoenix talk to the owner and it was a 64 dart. It was a very nice turquoise.

Dan are you going turquoise.
I am. I can't even tell you how many spray out i've done and still can't decide on one. I even got a bunch of those original paint chip pages for all different 60's mopar turquoise colors but due to their age there off also so real help there. The more i looked into it the more it got confusing. Same codes called med and dark ,different codes called medium but for same year,different branch of mopar. The factory codes / names simply don't work ,you got to go off of the paint companies codes and even then sometimes the formulas are off compared to todays paints.

Here is Dark Turquoise I am painting the wife Dart Ragtop tomorrow. Yes the turquoise colors get really confusing... I know as I was researching for the Dart.

Also here is the dash I restored with what I believe is medium and dark turquoise. I had the original matched at the local auto paint store.

View attachment 933886
... View attachment 933888
That's a great color ,do you have the paint manufactures code number for that?. To me that's a real nice medium shade turquoise . I keep bouncing between a medium shade and a lighter shade. Can you post some pictures of the car when you get it finished?.

Last edited:
Look up 64 dart code for turquoise was aaa send it at the mopar show here in Phoenix talk to the owner and it was a 64 dart. It was a very nice turquoise.
It is a nice color. If you look up 1964 Dart on paintref.com they used a color called med. turquoise on the Dart and 880 cars. If you cross ref. that code it was also called "light turquoise "on other Dodge cars of the same year and was also called "Silver turquoise " on Chrysler cars same year. I just have to make sure i don't get this med. turquoise mixed with the other med. turquoise or the other, other, med. turquoise or the dark turquoise named med. turquoise or Heaven forbid 68' medium / Dark turquoise and we can't forget about Bahama turquoise ( really med turquoise on a different model) or let's throw in a "Peacock turquoise" to keep 'em all honest, lol. My head hurts.

That's a great color ,do you have the paint manufactures code number for that?. To me that's a real nice medium shade turquoise . I keep bouncing between a medium shade and a lighter shade. Can you post some pictures of the car when you get it finished?.

Dark is L and Medium is K in the chart above.

It is a nice color. If you look up 1964 Dart on paintref.com they used a color called med. turquoise on the Dart and 880 cars. If you cross ref. that code it was also called "light turquoise "on other Dodge cars of the same year and was also called "Silver turquoise " on Chrysler cars same year. I just have to make sure i don't get this med. turquoise mixed with the other med. turquoise or the other, other, med. turquoise or the dark turquoise named med. turquoise or Heaven forbid 68' medium / Dark turquoise and we can't forget about Bahama turquoise ( really med turquoise on a different model) or let's throw in a "Peacock turquoise" to keep 'em all honest, lol. My head hurts.

I have not tried a PPG jobber but your gonna find that virtually no one has the color code for the turquoises anymore. They will have to try to match it from the paint chips that most places have so it won't matter what you call it you will have to point to it in a book and see how good the guy behind the counter is at matching. I had the original colors on the dash so he scanned them with mixed results. If you want either of these two colors I can tell you who to call to get Automotive Arts Motobase (excellent paint). They actually got the factory (AA) to dig through the archives and found the dark formula but the medium Chad sent a number of samples and we got it very very close.

Auto Transport Service
Back