• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth Belvedere Project.

malex

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:03 PM
Reaction score
I decided to start this post for my Plymouth Project for the members interested in seeing the progress on my 64 Plymouth.

I purchased the Belvedere in April of this year and up until now I've been more less gearing up for the start of the project. Actually I started on it in July, pulling the motor and going through that. The motor was fresh, a 71' 440 block, 452 heads with a torker intake and a 1000 cfm Holley. While being fresh and a mild sounding engine, it is far from that.
A 4.375 stroker crank, JE +.040 dished pistons, and solid Lunati cam were nicely matched up. Being a good foundation the heads, cam and intake set up were removed and replaced with a Comp Solid Roller, Victor Max Wedge Heads and Indy 440-1 2 X 4 intake with a set of 750 Eddys. A set of TTI 440-200 ceramic headers finishes the combo and are tucked away, waiting to go back in.

With all the torque and HP that this 526 wedge is going to lay down a good transmission and diff are a definite need. Fortunately this Belvedere came with this taken care of. The transmission is a fuller rollerized ProTrans equipped with a reverse pattern valve body and a brake. A loose convertor and Hurst quarter stick are already in place, although the finished package will be getting a fresh high stall converter.

Another nice touch with this Belvedere is the Dana sitting on Mopar Super Stock Springs. Internals include 35-spline Moser Axles on green bearings and 4.10 gears on a spool. A 3.5" aluminum driveshaft finishes off the package.

Back to where the project is at now, the Belvedere is totally stripped and booked for the blaster next week. So I'll throw some pictures on this post now to bring the project up to current times and then will post progress info and pictures along the way. The biggest decision so far has and continues to be the finished colour both inside and out..

So follow along members!

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 211674View attachment 211675View attachment 211676

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

A number of pictures, unfortunately they did not post in order of selection. future posts will be better.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 1,589
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 1,609
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,529
Last edited by a moderator:
WOW
What a great car and project!
Impressive to say the least...
Truly a great engine set-up.
Looks like you have a GREAT TEAM helping you and supporting that wonderful project!
Congrads...

WOW
What a great car and project!
Impressive to say the least...
Truly a great engine set-up.
Looks like you have a GREAT TEAM helping you and supporting that wonderful project!
Congrads...
Thanks! Nice Super Bee! Here's a pic of a SuperBee that I did for a friend a few years back. image.jpgimage.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Sweet!

Looking forward to following...
Thanks Khrys. Will keep the progress coming as it happens!

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to follow along.

Very nice, malex!

Very nice, malex!

Thanks there Mr. 64! It's a fun project! Been working on the shiny stuff for some time so less to do down the road. Nice 64 BTW. image.jpg

Sept 23,14. Sandblasting day today. Car turned out great and there were only a couple of minor surprizes once it was done. The fellows said that they blew the car out good, but there was a load of sand that came out once home. Next step is to mount the car on the rotisserie followed by suspension removal and epoxy primer.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks there Mr. 64! It's a fun project! Been working on the shiny stuff for some time so less to do down the road. Nice 64 BTW.

Thanks. We have a long way to go to have it where we want, but for now it's a fun driver. Keep up the good work on yours!

Started piecing the rotisserie together today. I built it about 6 years ago and it attaches to my hoist. The front is in place; ready to raise and tighten. A minor alteration to a couple of rear brackets and the Plymouth will find it's resting place for the next couple / three months! image.jpgimage.jpg

Got some hours in on the 64 today and all that is left to dismantle is the front suspension and drop the K-frame out of it. Planning on shooting the blasted metal areas with epoxy primer in the next day or 2. Here's where it's at. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

that car is going to be "Bad to the Bone" when your done with it. you've got some other nice rides as well I see. Did your team members help you on those as well?

A good day on the Plymouth. The K Frame came out and every bit of bare blasted metal has been epoxy primed. Next step, metal repair.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Oct 3,14. Have spent a few days on the firewall, welding up numerous drill holes and rust in areas. The biggest part of the job is the drivers side cowl. Not only was the top in rough shape but the section holding the wiper pivot was in bad shape. All good now though. A few more hours and it will be time to make it all smooth.image.jpgimage.jpg

Wow, nice work and congrats on what will be a badass car!

Thanks 747! Always enjoyable to work on the Plymouth! I think that the car is going to turn out pretty nice. Finally figured out the colour combo and that was a drawn out decision. image.jpg

More time spent on the 64 this past few days resulting in the firewall and engine compartment amost ready for primer. Still have somework left to do on the wiper eyebrow on the replacement cowl piece too.
The front floorpans have been removed now and the replacement panels are ready to drill and weld into place next. Hope to be ready to start building the new sub frame connectors within the next week. The 2X2 connectors in there now, ummm, not acceptable.

It sure looks/sounds like you have a beast in the making! Love the car and the drive train is something that may be reckoned with when your done!!! Very nice!!!

Oct 13,14. Been 3 weeks now since the Plymouth was sent out for blasting. aside from work interferring there has been some good progress with one floor pan welded in and the other one next on the agenda. The existing 2 X 2 frame connectors are next to come out and then I'll fab up a set to match the floor board contour. Hoping that at completion of month 1 I'll be to the rear mini tubs, which are coming out and being re-done. enjoyable work! image.jpg

Looking good. Where did you get the front floor pans from? My 65 coronet will need them sometime down the road.

Auto Transport Service
Back