• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Plymouth

khryslerkid

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:15 PM
Reaction score

Attachments

• 32497_1e290716cd_low_res.jpg
    32497_1e290716cd_low_res.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 712
  • 32536_4b3f66a3b4_low_res.jpg
    32536_4b3f66a3b4_low_res.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 629
I see what you mean. Kinda looks like that one floorpan is suffering from 'Fred Flintstone' syndrome.

Being a four speed ,it looks like the floor hump. I parted out a four speed 64 Sport Fury and it looks like the factory used a cutting torch to make the hole for the shifter.

4 speed cut outs were crude on the 64's, but that mess is on the wrong side.

Actually thats the same way the one I parted looked. The hump is pretty big onto the passenger side of the tunnel. They probably cut that much because it would have been a spot where crap would pile up

I've heard of the factory leaving some jaggaged edges there but that looks like a loose piece just sitting in the hole?

Heres a pic of the bottom of the four speed hump

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 321
Either way they painted it nice. I doubt they would do the detail they did and hack a floor pan into it. Needs an alignment too, left front tire is wiped out on the inside edge.

Actually thats the same way the one I parted looked. The hump is pretty big onto the passenger side of the tunnel. They probably cut that much because it would have been a spot where crap would pile up

Agreed. Since it is a factory 4 speed they weren't too picky how they cut the hole. When I did my hump, I traced it on the floor then cut 1" inside the line because road crap would definitely accumulate in the small void on the passenger side.

IM000119.JPGIM000118.JPGIM000122.JPG

As to the rest of the car, they should've left it EE1 instead of Resale Red. Too many other issues with the car to see $80K spent on it. $25K on an engine rebuild? Seriously? Undercarriage looks spray bombed and it's the wrong color, interior seats and door panels are incorrect.

On the upside, the "correct" large cap 15" wheels are a nice touch. Too many people "cheap out" on this and use the late model steelies.

Last edited:
Dealer is asking 59K for this Belvedere as a shoot for the moon price, so I'm pretty sure that the bid is nowhere near the reserve. It's a nice looking car but it just has too much missing/incorrect to be a high dollar car.

Agreed. Since it is a factory 4 speed they weren't too picky how they cut the hole. When I did my hump, I traced it on the floor then cut 1" inside the line because road crap would definitely accumulate in the small void on the passenger side.

As to the rest of the car, they should've left it EE1 instead of Resale Red. Too many other issues with the car to see $80K spent on it. $25K on an engine rebuild? Seriously? Undercarriage looks spray bombed and it's the wrong color, interior seats and door panels are incorrect.

On the upside, the "correct" large cap 15" wheels are a nice touch. Too many people "cheap out" on this and use the late model steelies.

Well guys, in 2002 I was looking for a '64 Belvedere and my wife found this one at Holt Auto Sales in Michigan. They sent us a lot of pictures and said that the car was recently restored by a guy near there. I made the mistake of buying it without going and seeing it in person. When we got it we found rust in the rear quarter around the wheel well and at the bottom of the driver's door, so we had to have those areas repaired. The first time I drove it the bell housing broke because the 4 transmission mounting bolts hadn't been tightened. They reimbursed me some money, but I learned an expensive & valuable lesson about classic car dealers from that purchase.

The car had a newly rebuilt 413 engine, but I found all the parts to build the 426 Max Wedge that's in it now. We also had the dash, grille, tail panel, air cleaners, valve covers, and many other parts restored by Bill Petrow (Special T's). I wasn't going to race the car so I sold the 750 carbs and got the rebuilt 625 carbs from Norm Brady. When I sold the car several years later, the new owner put on the steel wheels, poverty caps, and new tires.

I did undercoat the car with black rubberized undercoating (incorrect color) as noted. I also installed the TTI Max Wedge exhaust system, a '70 Plymouth Sure Grip rear end, new rear springs with 2" additional arch, and I splatter painted the trunk.

I think the factory cut hole in the hump looks shabby, but that's the way they did it. The factory hump for the 4 speed isn't exactly like the one shown in the illustration posted above. It's smooth on top, not stepped, and the external shape is a little different.

I do question the $80,000 restoration figure and $25,000 engine rebuild. That's an awful lot for machining and internal parts costs, when you consider that all the really expensive pieces were already on the engine.

We're happy to see that the car still looks as good as when we sold it. We sure had a great time driving it to cruise-ins and car shows here in Iowa and Illinois.

View attachment 310877View attachment 310878View attachment 310885

I know this is a old discussion... but where did you get that 4 speed tunnel? I bought a small add on cover that just kinda sits on the tunnel. Your looks correct. Thanks

View attachment 310877View attachment 310878View attachment 310885

Never realized how big a hump it was. I converted my car to a 4 speed. I made my hump like a 66/67 hump, the only problem was assess to the upper bolt on shifter. Cut a 1 1/2" hole and put a body plug in.
1965 Dodge 003.JPG

Wow that area had been hacked out at some point but worse than that, is that the person who put the car together last didn't repair that area. I'd be walking from that one.

Auto Transport Service
Back