• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 Polara vs Polara 500

MWFan

Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
The tail light thread has confused me again. (Not too hard to do...)
My car has triple taillights, bench seat, typewriter shift and what looks to me like the 500 trim package with nothing saying "500". Is it just a "Polara"?

received_1239486509564794.jpeg

Console with gear selector, post the vin number.
Sounds like a Polara, nice car.

The Polara 500 package was a 318 or larger engine and came standard with bucket seats, the "Polara 500" on the front fenders, and wheel covers.

The Polara package came standard with the side trim, three tail lights, hood spear, the decklid trim, and the rear trim around the tail lights

The real oddball is the side trim... I have seen it filled in black and also the machine turned style... my Polara 500 has the machine turned style but not sure if that is 500 specific or not as I have not seen any documentation stating that.

The Polara 500 package was a 318 or larger engine and came standard with bucket seats, the "Polara 500" on the front fenders, and wheel covers.

The Polara package came standard with the side trim, three tail lights, hood spear, the decklid trim, and the rear trim around the tail lights

The real oddball is the side trim... I have seen it filled in black and also the machine turned style... my Polara 500 has the machine turned style but not sure if that is 500 specific or not as I have not seen any documentation stating that.
I'm not 100 percent sure on this but i do believe the turned metal trim insert was 500 only . The rear "hockey stick" piece of side trim didn't say anything on it ( it had "Polara 500" on the front fender) and the base model Polara side "hockey stick" said Polara on it and the side trim was painted black. The glove box door also said Polara 500 on it. There was also "Fratgoz" emblems on the c pillar of the 500.

The machine turned is specific to the 500 model! Polara sweeps were contrasting color some times interior color, or body color!

Standard Polara trim package.... NOT a 500. The Red fill on the side trim is my custom touch. Was originally just chrome. Raised "Polara" on the hokey stick is stock and was a cream color from the factory. Also... center backup lights have been deleted and converted to third tail lights because sequential turn signals were added.

IMG_6676a.JPG

Standard Polara trim package.... NOT a 500. The Red fill on the side trim is my custom touch. Was originally just chrome. Raised "Polara" on the hokey stick is stock and was a cream color from the factory. Also... center backup lights have been deleted and converted to third tail lights because sequential turn signals were added.

View attachment 1038113
I think i'm going to be stealing the third brake light with sequential turn signals idea. Pretty cool.

View attachment 1038113
That's a nice ride. I'm keeping my eyes open for a 64 Dodge. 440, Polara, or 500. I like the clean look of the white with red trim and interior.

The tail light thread has confused me again. (Not too hard to do...)
My car has triple taillights, bench seat, typewriter shift and what looks to me like the 500 trim package with nothing saying "500". Is it just a "Polara"?

View attachment 1037807
That is a cool car as well. What color of interior?

View attachment 1038113
That tells me my car is a standard Polara. Thanks!
Bernie

The black interior of this car is from a Mercury Marquis. Electric adjustable front bench with fold down center armrests.

These are stock Polara seat frames with custom foam and upholstery that I did. Had to teach myself how to use an industrial sewing machine. First time for everything.

IMG_6666a.JPG

Also the Polara 500 had an emblem on the glove box door the said Polara 500. The side trim was an engine turned sticker.

The factory was a stainless steel engine turned sticker. The aftermarket is just a stainless looking sticker.

These are NOS on ebay.
20201213_000825.png

20201213_000739.png

I know its an insert but as many times as I washed and polished the one I used to own they never gave me the impression it was a sticker.

Here's picture of a used one.
20201213_001423.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back