• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 426 Wedge Carter AFB Question

Matt M

Local time
12:41 PM
Reaction score
What would this come on and what would the date code mean ?
It's great working rebuilt and ran on my 426 Wedge for a while.
I know it came on a 426 wedge originally, but I'm wanting to know specific date range if possible.
Thanks in advance.
I am going to sell it with some other parts one I know 100% the specifications .

20211107_163501.jpg

From what I looked up it shows 64-67 426W and some 383 for a 3860SA

My book shows the carb to be for a 1965 426 wedge auto trans. The 3860SA ... the A suffix is just a engineering revision to the basic design....perhaps a metering change or calibration change. I sgree with the date code determination.
BOB RENTON

My book shows the carb to be for a 1965 426 wedge auto trans. The 3860SA ... the A suffix is just a engineering revision to the basic design....perhaps a metering change or calibration change. I sgree with the date code determination.
BOB RENTON
Thank you appreciate i .

FWIW most of those have such indescernably tiny differences they are interchangeable, assuming they are for a Mopar to begin with. If you compared that one to a ‘64 3611 or the 3644 on an Imperial you might, just maybe, find a difference like a jet size. Or not.

FWIW most of those have such indescernably tiny differences they are interchangeable, assuming they are for a Mopar to begin with. If you compared that one to a ‘64 3611 or the 3644 on an Imperial you might, just maybe, find a difference like a jet size. Or not.

Your statment is largely incorrect. IMO....some of the earlier carbs had integral vacuum pull off assemblies for the primaries. There are subtle, but major changes or revisions to ALL carbs, depending on the engine and transmission used for both primary and secondary booster venturi auxiliary fuel feed circuits such as early fuel feed circuits (like pull over enrichment)., especially with those carbs using velocity actuated secondary butterfly valves (NOT THE AVS carb). Additionally, changes to the primary booster venturii that furnishes 100% of the idle and off idle fuel, location of the off idle fuel transition slots, contain calibrated orifices, which cannot be easily modified. Also, the diameter, size, and location of the primary and secondary booster venturi emulsion tubes can affect fuel introduction (mixing) to the air stream. This is in addition to the obvious jet snd metering rod changes. There are 3 step metering rod step up pistons which are different from the common 2 step variety and calibration springs. The previous mentioned variations are not mmediately recognized but have everything to do proper operation. The physical interchangeably MAY BE possible, including base flange drilling, but unless all of the subtle INTERNAL differences are recognized or understood, substitutions will likely be unsuccessful or at least, what might be anticipated or expected. Just my opinion of course.....
BOB RENTON

Bob, over the different brands and a broad number of years yes you are correct. Over a narrower number of years, 63-65 for instance, and staying within Mopar, you aren’t. I’ve rebuilt many of these, 383, 413,426 and they are ridiculously similar. Multi-carb setups have more differences of course but if you pull out the three or four different part numbers they used on 413 Imperials in ‘64 alone and compare to the one the OP showed you’d be hard pressed to find the difference. Unlike some companies where they will have a “rev”, Carter sprang a complete new number for any change, however small. Of course when we go to carbs for other manufacturers or farther apart in years the changes can be notable.

Bob, over the different brands and a broad number of years yes you are correct. Over a narrower number of years, 63-65 for instance, and staying within Mopar, you aren’t. I’ve rebuilt many of these, 383, 413,426 and they are ridiculously similar. Multi-carb setups have more differences of course but if you pull out the three or four different part numbers they used on 413 Imperials in ‘64 alone and compare to the one the OP showed you’d be hard pressed to find the difference. Unlike some companies where they will have a “rev”, Carter sprang a complete new number for any change, however small. Of course when we go to carbs for other manufacturers or farther apart in years the changes can be notable.

I'm aware of some of many significant differences on a given series of Carter carbs, specifically to the numbers of the '64 Mopar 413 engine. This is beside the obvious differences in thtottle bore size and venturii diameters. Some variations deal with the calibration of the primary booster venturii's idle fuel metering orifices in addition to the as cast venturii dimensions, perhaps main body castings.
Like you, I've rebuilt and/or modified many of the Mopar carbs, ranging from the LA 273, B 383, RB 413, 426 and 440 AFBs....yes, there are many similarities but there are an equal or greater number of slight variations that characterize the intended application. Sometimes, not all variations are superficially visible. Not all variations may be applicable. For example, what is the major difference (or similarity) between a auto transmission application vs a standard transmission application for the same engine size (beside the metering elements)?
In response to the OP's initial inquiry, I believe the difference between a 383 and a 426 is bore size and venturii diameters plus metering. But, I wish that I had as a reference, Carter's "master listing" model number by individual part number list and the different "revisions". At this point in time, I'm not sure if such a publication exists or if it could be purchased. Perhaps we should collaborate and publish a Carter carb lusting by model and part number.......food for thought.....
BOB RENTON

Interesting stuff .
The bad thing about any parts back in the day , manufacturers didn't really keep real good specific information on products and a lot of the information got trashed or modified and nothing noted in the manual or schematics
And for auto makers, they just grabbed pallets of parts and threw them on the cars and or engines.

This is well stated. The specs were the same in all dimensions to the 383 carbs into 66, yes jets rods diameters etc. Revisions could have been as simple as pump shot holes for the different stroke motors.

I have the carburetor for sale in my add in Mopar mechanical parts listing.
If anyone is in need of one ready to bolt on and go .

20211120_190905.jpg 20211120_190826.jpg 20211120_190921.jpg

This is well stated. The specs were the same in all dimensions to the 383 carbs into 66, yes jets rods diameters etc. Revisions could have been as simple as pump shot holes for the different stroke motors.

The only addendum regarding Revisions might be very subtle changes to the not so obvious parts or components, beside the obvious metering changes and dimensional differences. For example, a deliberately milled bevel angle on the primary throttle plates, directly adjacent / opposite of the off idle transition slots that allow sooner / moother transition from idle to main fuel feed per angular position of the throttle plates opening angle. Do all models for a given engine have this feature...no....it's specific to the origional application. Can this carb be used on a different engine....yes....will the person installing the carb realize the difference....probably not. The need for the change was determined by Mopar engineering in conjunction with Carter application engineering. Its important to realize these subtle differences, should they exist, and the function they perform, rather than overall dismissing these items as insignificant. Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

I'm aware of some of many significant differences on a given series of Carter carbs, specifically to the numbers of the '64 Mopar 413 engine. This is beside the obvious differences in thtottle bore size and venturii diameters. Some variations deal with the calibration of the primary booster venturii's idle fuel metering orifices in addition to the as cast venturii dimensions, perhaps main body castings.
Like you, I've rebuilt and/or modified many of the Mopar carbs, ranging from the LA 273, B 383, RB 413, 426 and 440 AFBs....yes, there are many similarities but there are an equal or greater number of slight variations that characterize the intended application. Sometimes, not all variations are superficially visible. Not all variations may be applicable. For example, what is the major difference (or similarity) between a auto transmission application vs a standard transmission application for the same engine size (beside the metering elements)?
In response to the OP's initial inquiry, I believe the difference between a 383 and a 426 is bore size and venturii diameters plus metering. But, I wish that I had as a reference, Carter's "master listing" model number by individual part number list and the different "revisions". At this point in time, I'm not sure if such a publication exists or if it could be purchased. Perhaps we should collaborate and publish a Carter carb lusting by model and part number.......food for thought.....
BOB RENTON
Sorry I know this is old but the 383 and 426 SW carb are identical in size as all the specs are listed with NHRA.

Auto Transport Service
Back