• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 727 questions.

Myred65Coronet

Local time
3:46 AM
Reaction score
What differences are there between the console shifted vs column shifted 727?
I’m getting ready to pull my 318 and replace it with 383. I have a big block transmission that needs to be rebuilt. I have the stock console shifter and new cables.

5D716727-3795-49E2-BCDB-8EF3F81013EC.jpeg

My '65 is a slant 6, column auto, and has the Park, and gear select cables. You'll probably need to get new cables for a console shifted transmission, unless by chance, yours are long enough to reach, and the ends.may be different ? I don't have a console car here to compare...
1667677634173825265298295710119.jpg

The valve body is different where the cables connect. There is a column shift VB and a console shift VB.

The cables are the same from SB to BB trans. Why would they be any different? They go to the same place on the trans.

I should have added, you can get cables from Imperial Services, they have a good website, and selection...

R413 is correct, cables are the same , just take the valve body out of the 318 trans and have it put in the big block one when they rebuild it and everything will work

The valve body is different where the cables connect. There is a column shift VB and a console shift VB.
Can you expound on the differences?? Thx...maybe a sticky or link would be awesome.
I've seen application listing for early (62-64) valve bodies and 64-1/2 to 65 as different. Never seen any detail regarding big block small block application, nor console/column. TIA, Lefty71

Early type; 64 and ealier pushbutton. Later type; 64 floor shift and all 65. The rooster comb, manual valve, and neutral switch are different between the 2 types.
Doug

Older post but I was wondering, I need a dash shifted trans for a 65 big block half ton, would this be the same as either of these???
Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back