• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet E-Cable Firewall Grommet

65AFX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
How do I install a new firewall grommet on my e-brake cable? My original is not to bad, but I have a new reproduction one I wanted to install. The hole in the grommet is the size of the cable, But I need to get it over the bigger flange at the end of the cable. Is it possible to stretch the grommet that much?

IMG_9813.JPG IMG_9814.JPG

Don.. I would take a good Q-tip and dip it in a tub/bottle of vaseline, and coat the inside of
the new grommet, and the end of cable crimp, especially around the oversized washer, and just use as much as you need. Just double, triple check the grommet is being installed on
the new cable the RIGHT way.. as it is very easy to get it on wrong! Hope this helps. @Dodge33

Surely you are familiar with extra lube in tight spots.
Mike

Ok, Guys. I was in Vegas over the weekend and met this Gal on the street. She gave me some "Slide-er-in" lubricant made by "Big Canon". Worked great, the grommet slid right on.

Auto Transport Service
Back