• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Coronet stance with SS springs?

65AFX

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
9:59 PM
Reaction score
I install SS springs on my 65 Sedan and the drivers side sits higher by one inch. I always thought the passenger side would be higher. I have the # 456 ( has more leafs) on the passenger side and 457 on the drivers side. The car weights 3310 without driver.
Also does the pinion angle change from stock springs to SS springs?

I have the odd number 457 on the drivers side. That is the left side of the car.

I have used S/S springs on both my '64 Polara and '67 R/T. I think the 3600 pound ones are -454 and -455 part #'s. I found that after a couple of years, the passenger side started to sag. This was because the second leaf of the spring stops well short of the rear spring hanger, and the main leaf was starting to bend down at this point. The second leaf of the driver's side spring extends almost to the rear spring hanger and supports the weight of the car on the main leaf better. Since I mainly cruise with my cars and don't race them, I am more concerned about the static look of the car. In your case, if you also do not race, I would look at the springs to see which one has the longer second leaf, and order a duplicate of it to install.

I have the odd number 457 on the drivers side. That is the left side of the car.
Ok . I misread your post. Sorry. I will delete my reply. I have added another post about a situation I had. I hope this is more helpful.

Since the housing is on top of the springs, with relatively the same arch, the more leafs, the further the housing is from the ground or the lower the car sits, think about it like a lifted truck, housing is underneath the springs so the more leafs, the higher the vehicle sits.
I went with 2 lefts so it would sit level, and since I'm running cal-tracs, not an issue.

I have 456/457 on my car. Passenger side is higher (right now, haven't checked tire pressure) an inch and a quarter. Usually closer to an inch. 456 on the passenger, 457 on the driver. These are at least ten year old Mexican built springs.
Edit. Also have wedge shims to tip the nose of the rear down . Wanna say 3°, may be 1 1/2 or 2°.
2nd edit: the newer SS springs have a bad reputation for lifespan.

I might try loosening the spring eye bolts on both sides, front and rear, and the u-bolts. Then bounce the rear of the car. Looking to check for a binding condition.
I would also take a look at the shocks.

I have used S/S springs on both my '64 Polara and '67 R/T. I think the 3600 pound ones are -454 and -455 part #'s. I found that after a couple of years, the passenger side started to sag. This was because the second leaf of the spring stops well short of the rear spring hanger, and the main leaf was starting to bend down at this point. The second leaf of the driver's side spring extends almost to the rear spring hanger and supports the weight of the car on the main leaf better. Since I mainly cruise with my cars and don't race them, I am more concerned about the static look of the car. In your case, if you also do not race, I would look at the springs to see which one has the longer second leaf, and order a duplicate of it to install.
I believe the 455 and 454 are 3800 pounds .

I believe the 455 and 454 are 3800 pounds .
Unless you have a set of the old Direct Connection leaf springs either made in USA or Canada, all others are junk paperweights. I gave up and went with the pricey but nicey tri-city springs and never looked back.

I used 2 sets. Used right sides on one car and the left sides my other car. Works great for the street

Unless you have a set of the old Direct Connection leaf springs either made in USA or Canada, all others are junk paperweights. I gave up and went with the pricey but nicey tri-city springs and never looked back.
What's your 60 foot times with your black car in your avatar on the high dollar springs ?

What's your 60 foot times with your black car in your avatar on the high dollar springs ?
It's been a few years to say the least. With QTP Hoosiers at just under 18 Lbs or so, solid front aluminum spring eye bushings, Viking DA shocks out back and no snubber. 1.42ish with a 131.8 mph on the stripe.

I had the Mexican made 3800 pound springs 30x9" slick on 8" rims no snubber a100 van straight axle on the front end ,stock shocks all the way around 1.40 60foot at 125 mile per hour . At that time the springs were selling for $130 each I was happy with them they worked for me .

Dont' forget ESPO springs.. they will basically make you anything you need to order and have great reviews from everyone here. Great people to deal with also :)

It's been a few years to say the least. With QTP Hoosiers at just under 18 Lbs or so, solid front aluminum spring eye bushings, Viking DA shocks out back and no snubber. 1.42ish with a 131.8 mph on the stripe.
Before the springs and honestly, a retune of my convertor at Ultimate, I was averaging consistent 1.65 60FT at 127 mph. Down to the 1.4's with the springs and convertor recalibration. This is a true street driven car, NYC traffic and all.

Got around to do some more checking. The springs have the part numbers stenciled in white. They end in 456 and 457. Today I found the bottom leafs stamped with 456 and 45X.
Is that normal to have an "X" stamped instead of 7 ?

Here is how my car sat with 456/457 SS springs. Installed 2006. Photo 2021

IMG_2860.jpg

IMG_2862.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back