• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Dodge Coronet 440 4dr: Brake Light Issues

Hammer108

Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
I am new to the Dodge family. I recently bought a 1965 Dodge Coronet 440 4dr. I love the car but realized that the rear brake lights do not work. The things I have chased to fix this issue. (maybe someone can help shed light on what would fix the issue)
1) Brake switch works, ran a test on it
2) one post of the brake switch has one wire the other post has two wires going to it.
3) one of these wires going to the brake switch has power (confirmed with test light), the other did not activate however I am not sure which one lit up the test light.
4) park lights work and the right rear/front blinker works.
5) left rear/front blinker does not work, I have not changed the bulb or tested any wires outside the cabin of the car.
6) the fuse block, all fuses are good to go, none blown. But the clamps on the fuses seem corroded. But the radio works fine, which is one of the fuses. So I don't think it's the fuse block.
7) wires from base of steering column have had the plastic factory connector cut off, all the wires out of the column are now butt connected together. The connectors all look great and are tights.
8) I also pulled the steering wheel. The previous owner installed a new blinker switch inside. From the inside of the horn area, all the wires look good and work as they should.
9) Blinker lights on dash also work and the blinkers turn off when cycling a right and left turn while driving the vehicle.
I am looking for any help with this issue. Not sure where to go from here. I will change out the bulbs to check for blown left blinker. But I would think if the blinker works, the brake should work, seeing that the brake switch works.

As with everything else... Make sure you have good grounds..
Yes sir,
I just traced the questionable wires (pink and white from brake switch). not realizing they (at least one of the two ) went to the dash light switch, which may be bad. Anyway, that was easy to read and figure out. Thanks again!!

Yes sir,
I just traced the questionable wires (pink and white from brake switch). not realizing they (at least one of the two ) went to the dash light switch, which may be bad. Anyway, that was easy to read and figure out. Thanks again!!
Not sure if the 65 Coronet is the same as a 69 as far as wiring. But there is a connector on the 69's that is in the driver side kick panel all of the rear of the car goes through that connector. Fuel sender, Trunk light, Dome light, Reverse lights, Turn signals etc etc.. Pretty sure the tail lights get their ground through the tail light body. Because they only show 2 wires at the tail lights. Brown and Black to one side and Dark Green and black to the other side. One is the stop tail the other is the turn signal. Id say Brown and Dark Green are the turn signals and Black is the running lights. Violet and Dark blue wires.. Violet is the reverse lights and Dark Blue is the fuel sender wire.

Not sure if the 65 Coronet is the same as a 69 as far as wiring. But there is a connector on the 69's that is in the driver side kick panel all of the rear of the car goes through that connector. Fuel sender, Trunk light, Dome light, Reverse lights, Turn signals etc etc.. Pretty sure the tail lights get their ground through the tail light body. Because they only show 2 wires at the tail lights. Brown and Black to one side and Dark Green and black to the other side. One is the stop tail the other is the turn signal. Id say Brown and Dark Green are the turn signals and Black is the running lights. Violet and Dark blue wires.. Violet is the reverse lights and Dark Blue is the fuel sender wire.
I have a copy of the wiring diagram from member. black and brown (pass) and black and dark green (driver). Thanks!!

I see I have some work to do! HA..... :)

Be sure to check out the bulb sockets too.. Rust = bad grounds...

Thanks to all!!
A little work to do and hopefully a simple fix too.

Hey Hammer108,

When you get tags, the cool kids meet next to Starbucks in Bel Air, on Sunday mornings 7-9am.

Welcome from Missouri!!

Welcome to FBBO 'again'

maybe you can go to & check out the Electrical & Ignition
or maybe even the General Discussion forum/s sections here on FBBO
this is just the welcome wagon
it's not intended as a Q&A or tech section really
'albeit';
many newbies seem to use it as such
There are not anywhere near as many viewers in here either,
as many of the other forum sections, that can/will answer your queries
you will get more answers, more help

good luck