• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Plymouth B-Body Aluminum Dash Housing

69bfan

FBBO Vendor
FBBO Sponsor
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
I have a friend that has recently acquired a factory aluminum dash housing for a 65 Plymouth B-Body car. He called me concerning the rarity of the piece and I have no clue on this piece. He said it looks exactly like the factory dash housing with the exception of it being stamped in aluminum. Thus the thoughts that it was a factory issued race piece. Does anybody have any knowledge of this piece. His thoughts are that it would be a AFX piece.

To the best of my knowledge, The 1965 AWB/AFX 2-dr. H.T. cars (Dodge & Plymouth), that were built by Amblewagon, had fiberglass dashboards. Also: The fenders, doors, hood, hoodscoop, bumpers, decklid, all fiberglass.
In 1965, A-990 cars (Belvedere I's & Coronet 330's 2-dr. sedan's), had an aluminum dash (while some cars had the stamped-steel dash). These cars also had aluminum door hinges, but not certain how many...

Last edited:
The guy has an original A990 Plymouth and knows those cars. He stated that the original A990s had a metal dash as I asked could it have been an over the counter piece offered to the racers. Could the A990s been equipped either way? These cars are so rare and so difficult to document after 50 years to what was and was not available. I appreciate the help and will attempt to get him to send me a picture. The owner is one of the hard core guys who does not have internet but has accumulated an unreal stash of rare parts and cars. Just goes to prove that there is so much stuff still out there that is unknown about.

Thanks, for the information. I will pass the information onto the owner as he has no need for the part, but still wanted to get an ideal on the application.

69bfan wrote: "I have a friend that has recently acquired a factory aluminum dash housing for a 65 Plymouth B-Body car." Apparently then, his friend didn't know the difference between a '64 & '65 Plymouth dash? Yes, they are totally different, but interchangeable, never-the-less...
Also, 69bfan wrote: "The guy has an original A990 Plymouth and knows those cars. He stated that the original A990s had a metal dash..." [edit]. If the friend has an original A-990 Plymouth (that has to be), a 1965 426 Hemi, and a two-door sedan car. (Sales Code): R01. The VIN (on the driver-side door hinge pillar), would have "R051" prefix. All 1965 Hemi drag race cars were built at the Lynch Road (Michigan) plant. The 426 Hemi engine was identified by the engine code: "82" - on the body data plate. (Fender tag), drivers-side, frt. fender well.
The body-type on that "fender tag" - would be" "R11" - denoting a Belvedere two-door sedan, rather than the "R01" Hemi sales code, that appeared "O-N-L-Y" on the window sticker. There was no lightweight code, as all 1965 Hemi sedans were built with the lightweight package.
Thus...if the friend's car matches these, then it is indeed a true 1965 Hemi Plymouth "A-990" car. (as stated).
Either way, the friend (I'm assuming), would know a 1965 Plymouth dash from a 1964; right?
A picture, is worth a thousand words...:thumbsup:

Last edited:
From my knowledge and after consulting the maximum performance Jim Schild bible, an aluminum dash was not a factory option. 1964 was the year for aluminum before they went nuts with acid dipping. The aluminum parts were: doors, fenders, hood + scoop, rad air shield, stone deflector, rad crossmember + support, and bumper + brackets. Not positive but I think door hinges as well. I've never heard of a dash but maybe something super rare that wasn't documented or just aftermarket. Either way super cool!

"Dashing Topic!" :) This is an A-990 car, sans the small stainless trim, that appeared on ALL the original Belvedere I cars, factory lightweight's & regular passenger cars. (many racer's removed the trim, filled-in the holes), and painted to suit. I did the same, on my '65 Bracket race car...
4_1965_BelvedereLG.jpg

65 Belvedere 426 HEMI automatic SUPER STOCKER - 2X4 Holleys on a Magnesium crossram intake with aluminum cylinder heads, water pump housing, oil pump housing and alternator brackets. White with Tan interior. 1 of 101 produced for NHRA drag racing. (The NHRA required 100 cars, to be a legal Super Stocker). Has lightweight steel front end and doors. Van bucket seats, no rear seat, "Aluminum Door Hinges" - and thin Coming glass except the windshield. Ground up restoration. This car was originally raced under the "GOLD FINGER" name in Pennsylvania. (Read more on this car in the following magazine articles): Mopar Action June 97, High Performance Mopar March 98, Super Rod February 2004.

Last edited:
I appreciate all of the information, but from what I am reading, there is not a definite answer that aluminum dashes were ever installed in either the '64 or '65 model year cars. From the way that I read the above, aluminum was never a factory issue piece for the '65 model year cars. I will be talking to Mark on Sunday and hopefully he will have someone who can snap a picture of the dash housing so that I can post it here for your opinions.

I still need the dash and you can reach me through my web site. www.sledcityfiberglass.com I know of a perfect car for that dash. It is an aluminum nosed 64 Plymouth that usually holds the ss/b NHRA record. Runs 8.80's with a 4 speed and a slight over bore of .030. No needed 505 or 605 cubic inches, 426 plus 30 will do. This guy builds our small 426's for our racers.

There is no need as long as your into high maintenence. It's all relative. A 8500+rpm Hemi is not a bracket motor. But you are correct, he is a good engine builder.
Doug

I still need the dash and you can reach me through my web site. www.sledcityfiberglass.com I know of a perfect car for that dash. It is an aluminum nosed 64 Plymouth that usually holds the ss/b NHRA record. Runs 8.80's with a 4 speed and a slight over bore of .030. No needed 505 or 605 cubic inches, 426 plus 30 will do. This guy builds our small 426's for our racers.
ed33d0363f34372be548c58ba513964674bc46adbb316a16ee9ff8c4a0465edf.jpg

I've heard of the aluminum dashes, I know a guy who knows a guy who has one.
It's hard to say what or who they were made for. It didn't have who's to say the Golden Commando's 65 Ply. didn't have an aluminum dash in it. Remember some of these cars were used just for match races.

I've heard of the aluminum dashes, I know a guy who knows a guy who has one.
It's hard to say what or who they were made for. It didn't have who's to say the Golden Commando's 65 Ply. didn't have an aluminum dash in it. Remember some of these cars were used just for match races.
Okay guys here's the smoking gun since i have been studying and discovering many mysteries about these cars a for a short while now.
It is good that Skicker lead me onto this discussion being that I have been raving about these parts for some time now.

What I'm about to mention has been a long lost mystery even to some factory heads.
Prior to the onslaught of the celebrated 10%/15% AFX altered wheel cars of 65' there was a little known secret program that dished out (4) AFX cars in mid 64'. They were called the 2% cars. They were also post sedans only.
My car which some of you know of or are about to find out about, has been following the 2% program with a grain of over kill to say the least. Feature article in July's 2016 Mopar Muscle could not even touch the iceberg on what this car is about, but never the less artfully written by Steve Magnante.
Back to the subject at hand. On paper, these cars (2) Plymouth's and (2) Dodges were hand built with special aluminum stamped parts and hand made ones as well.
These four cars received the aluminum dashes along with aluminum steering column jackets, aluminum transmission cross members, aluminum Girling master cylinder reservoirs, aluminum brake pedal and all the other usual aluminum parts associated with the A-864 Hemi sedans of 64'
Now mind you, don't go out thinking that these parts are that super rare. Though not in abundance, but there may be more out there than meets the eye. I heard first hand from one of a credited Chrysler engineer that he saw ten aluminum dashes stacked up at a ????? Chrysler executives basement during a BBQ one Summer. Could these parts have been stamped during the midnight oil sessions? Probably so, and so there lies the story of a 65' A-990 having an aluminum dash. Was it standard race equipment in 65'? by virtue of paper work, NO! 65's had standard steel dashes installed as per the revamped rules of that year. But could one had slipped by chance and found its way on any car there after or been a left over from one of the 2% cars? probably yes, and especially if the car in question was competing in FX or Modified classes.
Many parts make their respective journey down the food chain of cars once they have served their purpose in the limelight of factory participation.
Oh yeah, there were (4) Hard top 2% cars developed in early 65' as well. Perhaps they received a donated aluminum dash from the previous year as a bonus.
PS: I'd like to purchase this dash if it ever comes up for sale.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back