• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Plymouth Belvedere SB 727 TF cable shift wont shift to drive gear

Rick England

Local time
5:36 PM
Reaction score
727 TF trans was over filled and then driven about 8 miles now it will not shift in to drive gear all other gears shift smoothly hoping to find some information how to repair this problem with out putting my extra trans in the car was told can be repaired with out removing the trans but cant find any information on this procedure any help would be greatly appreciated

Does the car roll if you pull it out of park? If not you have a park cable issue. If so I'd pull the pan and watch the rooster comb and manual valve. I'm assuming the neutral switch is connected. Does the engine crank over? If so the rooster comb should be moving. If not you have a shift cable issue. Make sure the manual valve that slides over the rooster comb moves while someone pushes the buttons. If all this works its time for a pressure test or removal and disassembly.
Doug

Make sure you have the 2-hole filter on it. These cable-shift tranny's have a rear pump in them that later Torqueflights don't. If you block that one pump intake off with a regular newer filter, the trans will do funny things, like not upshift. Don't ask me how I know!

Like was mentioned above was the trans filter replaced while lowering the fluid level? If so it has the wrong filter...

Early filter

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 6.15.36 PM.png

Late filter

Screen Shot 2021-01-23 at 6.15.55 PM.png

The screw pattern is the same, if you use the late filter on the early trans you get no high gear...

Had a pan leak replaced pan and it was accidentally over filled with ATF4 and driven now no longer shift in to 3drive gear was told I problem blew a internal seal which can be replaced with out taking out the trans

Make sure you have the 2-hole filter on it. These cable-shift tranny's have a rear pump in them that later Torqueflights don't. If you block that one pump intake off with a regular newer filter, the trans will do funny things, like not upshift. Don't ask me how I know!

Thanks for the reply trans was fine till I replaced a leaking bent pan and over filled it took it for a ride shifted fine stoped at a light and never shifted in to drive 3 again drained fluid to proper level but the damage was done can't find information on how to repair

Had a pan leak replaced pan and it was accidentally over filled with ATF4 and driven now no longer shift in to 3drive gear was told I problem blew a internal seal which can be replaced with out taking out the trans
Third gear (Drive) engages by a hydraulic piston applying pressure to a clutch pack as the kick down band releases the front drum. This piston has 2 seals on it. To replace either of these would entail pulling the trans. Everything unloads through the front of the trans after the oil pump is removed. Nothing much is accessible by removing oil pan, except the valve body. 2-3 shift valve in valve body could be sticking? I really don't understand how temporary overfill would take out high gear?

Overfilling will cause the fluid to be whipped into a froth, the aerated fluid could cause a pressure drop that explains the no-shift but the condition shouldn't remain after the fluid level is corrected.

Third gear (Drive) engages by a hydraulic piston applying pressure to a clutch pack as the kick down band releases the front drum. This piston has 2 seals on it. To replace either of these would entail pulling the trans. Everything unloads through the front of the trans after the oil pump is removed. Nothing much is accessible by removing oil pan, except the valve body. 2-3 shift valve in valve body could be sticking? I really don't understand how temporary overfill would take out

Auto Transport Service
Back