• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1965 Satellite period correct tires. Please help.

Nismobishi

Local time
7:24 PM
Reaction score
Hi. I'm new to this forum. My dad and I bought a 65 satellite back in 1998. We fixed it all up and go to the local car shows. It's got a 426 max wedge, black paint, ramcharger hood scoop. He recently passed away and I want to put on the wheels and tires that we always wanted it to have. It currently has American racing tt wheels with bfg 225/60r15 front and 235/60r15 rear.

I have narrowed it down to 15x6 steel with dog dish in the front and 15x8 steel with dog dish in the back with 275/60r15 M&H muscle car drag tires in the back.

So my question is for the front tires. I want period correct tires for the front. Did they come with Goodyear, Firestone, polyglas, or? And what size would be correct for the front tires while still looking good being paired up with the big rear tires? I was thing a f70-15 (215/70r15)?

My 65 Belvedere came with 8.25 -14 Goodyear powercushion . coker makes a tire that size, but he doesn’t make repo Goodyear’s.

Thanks for the advice everyone!
Does anyone know what the correct size front and rear tires would be for a mid 60's 15" factory rim b-body? F60-15, f70-15, g60-15, g70-15, or? Would it be the same all 4 or different sizes front and rear? Also white letter, red line, or?

The correct size would be on 14" rims on a mid- 60's B-body. All the 15" rims were on Chryslers. So you are looking for the equivalent of a 7.00-x-14 to maybe a 7.50-x-14 for a correct factory look, which is not all that popular nowadays. Anything bigger was on a wagon, or a C-body. Thin white line whitewalls, or the double thin line whitewalls were all the rage on everyday cars. Red lines were on the special cars, and vettes. HTH, Lefty71

***EDIT*** Here's the info for Maxies. since that's what you had asked about to begin with... 14x5.5" rims stock, 14x 6.5 opt( 2122468 ). 7.5"-x-14" Rayon black sidewall tires, whitewalls optional. Goodyear Super Cushion was most prevalent.

Last edited:
I think most max wedge cars came with 7.75x14
My 65 bevlvedere has code 44 on the build sheet. That decodes as 8.25x14 black walls

Thanks guys. I do have the 14" stock rims that came on the car. It was a factory 361 car. My factory steel 14" had full size hub caps. Would dog dish work on these wheels? There is a center ring area around the outside of the lug nuts that measures about 9.5 inches.

Early (big) dog dish poverty caps work with early rims. Later rims ~67 and newer will take the smaller caps.

Awesome. Thanks! Looks like I'm gonna use my 14's and shop Ebay for some max wedge poverty caps.

shop Ebay for some max wedge poverty caps.

Throw up a Wanted to Buy thread in the classifieds. There are members here selling nice ones. Toss some pix of the car up too when you get a chance.

Sure thing. I just got it all cleaned up. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

When I finished my '65 I had radials front and rear. Didn't have the look I was after. Then I changed the rear tires to the old period correct cheater slicks. Mixing radials with bias tires ain't good!
So I just bought a pair of BF Goodrich Silvertown Bias 7.10-15's from Coker. Expensive but period correct look and no more crazy, ill handling.

20190708_163505.jpg

You should use the correct dogdish on custom made 15 inch wheels. I have the wheel centers to make this happen.
P M ...me for more info , I will post a pic when I get back home.

Frank
The Wheel Guy

You should use the correct dogdish on custom made 15 inch wheels. I have the wheel centers to make this happen.

Frank
The Wheel Guy
Should've, Would've, Could've.
I'd really like to have original style wheels and caps. Believe me, I scoured every wrecking yard around trying to find something that would work.
I even experimented with making an adapter ring for 10" cap to 9" wheel.
I saw your original post (and received an PM). Looks like a great problem solver. But estimates of $800+ for wheels and probably another $150+ for dogs is a little pricey for me.
Might have to do one or two at a time.

Understood , a set of four Magnum 500 wheels will cost $850 , a set of ralley wheels will cost $850 and a set of steel wheels will cost you $550 plus you dogdish caps. So really the price is not the that far off for a set of one off wheels. Some of the rest of the wheels out there are $1000 or more. Just saying , that's all.

Frank
The Wheel Guy

Also that's the reason I had them made , there is nothing out there as far as steel wheels , for the right dogdish caps.

Frank

When I finished my '65 I had radials front and rear. Didn't have the look I was after. Then I changed the rear tires to the old period correct cheater slicks. Mixing radials with bias tires ain't good!
So I just bought a pair of BF Goodrich Silvertown Bias 7.10-15's from Coker. Expensive but period correct look and no more crazy, ill handling.

View attachment 796943

Excellent! Do those have a white wall on one side? All the silvertowns I see on Coker have a white wall.

Frank
The Wheel Guy
That's definatly a thought. I will keep it in mind. Thanks.

View attachment 796943
Do you have a close up of the rear wheels, front wheels, and a good side view of the whole car? My 65 is black also! I still need to take some pictures to post here.

Auto Transport Service
Back