• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 383 build help

Loulang

Local time
10:06 PM
Reaction score
So me and the wife took my 66 charger out for some errands Saturday and drove her about 75 miles and about a 100 yards from home I said “She’s been good to us today” and the wife said “ya all the stops we made she fired right up” and SOON as she was done saying that my motor started knocking FML So she’s getting pulled and gonna get rebuilt. All the kits I have found are for 67 and up. I have the Holley sniper efi system that’s good up to 500hp but I’m just looking for 425-450hp. All ideas are truly appreciated. I just want to be able to go to the engine builder with some ideas. Thanks in advanced.

I have a 383 from a 66 Charger bored .040 over, crank forged standard, pistons installed on rods and all needed bearings, heads camshaft slight upgrade not going to make 400+ HP etc etc, I am in SE Iowa near Burlington where are you in Michigan?

I have a 383 from a 66 Charger bored .040 over, crank forged standard, pistons installed on rods and all needed bearings, heads camshaft slight upgrade not going to make 400+ HP etc etc, I am in SE Iowa near Burlington where are you in Michigan?
Not gonna make 400+ etc etc? And I’m in northern Michigan by the Mighty Mackinaw bridge

im in Mi. and i build engines,mostly Mopars. you will need good cylinder heads to reach your hp goal. a cam with aprox. .500 lift will also be necessary,as well as a set of long tube headers. a milder 440 could reach that goal more easily with less rpm being required. either way, you want 9.5:1 compression [at least] which will require pump premium fuel. if you run aluminum heads then you can run up to 11:1 with pump premium. that would really help your 383 achieve 450 hp.

im in Mi. and i build engines,mostly Mopars. you will need good cylinder heads to reach your hp goal. a cam with aprox. .500 lift will also be necessary,as well as a set of long tube headers. a milder 440 could reach that goal more easily with less rpm being required. either way, you want 9.5:1 compression [at least] which will require pump premium fuel. if you run aluminum heads then you can run up to 11:1 with pump premium. that would really help your 383 achieve 450 hp.
I’d be happy with 400-450 I run premium already. Headers were my next purchase and the rectangle exhaust tips right before the rear tires like the old nascar. Thanks for the advice

Why is it engines always run their best before taking a dump? Your questions to open ended for me to give an honest answer! Good Luck

I just wanna make sure I can lay a nice patch once in a while. At least with the motor going in I will know more about it. I knew of nothing that was done or in this motor

I just wanna make sure I can lay a nice patch once in a while.

Well, if you got a 3:23 or smaller rear, you're going to need a bigger engine with lots more power!!

It has a 3:55 gear, not sure if I’m gonna change it. I do t get on the freeway and the roads I take are tops 55mph

I guess I was just confused because all The kits I have seen are for 67 and up. I’m sure the builder will know what to do I was just trying to get some opinions

Before you jump into a rebuild, what is knocking?
Your likely to lose your car for the summer if you start a rebuild now. Unless you get lucky.

Before you jump into a rebuild, what is knocking?
Your likely to lose your car for the summer if you start a rebuild now. Unless you get lucky.
Ya I know I will lose it till next year. But I will get the engine bay done and my motor will be reliable. I know nothing about what’s been done to it or when. My wife’s on board with it getting redone and getting some long tube headers. I’m gonna do some digging later today, gonna pull valley pan and valve covers off and oil pan and see what I can find out, but I just had to rebuild the oil pump because the valve was stuck closed. I found a piece of sos material in the top of the valve. And the motor just lost oil pressure then started knocking LOUD. So is what it is. Glad I have a life long mechanic partner for these journeys

ECCBE419-D9F0-43A6-BD62-A0B057896B3A.jpeg

F6D9B404-3E06-47C3-9005-ECC50C798023.jpeg

What kits are you referring too? There is nothing different between the 66 and 67 383.

What is your budget? Getting a 383 to 450 hp will require careful selection of parts, and you will likely have poor idle and low rpm manners and require a higher stall converter.

My budget is probably around 7000 I’m sure the builder will know which way to go I was just curious on other peoples builds. I’m not looking to build a track car just a cruiser that can burn some rubber. I’m gonna get the Holley efi distributor also so the sniper can do the timing. Thanks

Auto Transport Service
Back