• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 B body converted to manual disc brakes, pedal feel ?

gtx6970

Local time
10:21 PM
Reaction score
Car was converted to 1970 and later style front disc brakes.

IMO the pedal feels soft ( doesnt pump up like it has air in it ) travels to far for my comfort level

It has the modern plastic reservoir / aluminum body master cyl on it. I have no idea bore size .

Is there a better MC for the application
Or should I convert to power booster
if so, what are my options as far as booster / master cyl kits that actually fit .

I seen assys from Pirate Jack in the $300 range for booster, mast cyl and linkages .
Anyone used one and feedback good or bad

If it doesn't pump up and the rears are adjusted tight, then I would change the Master.
I have manual discs on my Charger and the pedal is very firm and near the top of the pedal.
I just used a 70 style master cylinder its been on there for at least 20 years maybe 25 even.

Have the brakes been bled ? Bleeders at the top of the calipers ?
My '68 has the (manual) disc conversion and a firm pedal, and a stock-appearing MC - both done by prior owner, so unfortunately I don't know specifics.
Your issue may be the MC bore size, though it sounds like someone may have addressed that.
Some of the aftermarket PB boosters seem to be too small to work properly; a buddy had that issue on an early Mustang.

Pedal height is determined by the rear drum adjustment. Adjust your rears up properly before you go any further.
My manual disc/drum system with dual mc on my 66 feels like I'm pushing against a wall. I think they used the power pedal instead of a manual one,but I haven't checked into it yet.

Rear brakes are adjustes right.
Pedal just travels to far and feels to spongy for my liking.

I have a 74 manual disc brake master ordered will be here tomorrow

My '67 has Dr Diff front disc's w the similar master cylinder you describe w a 15/16 bore. Pedal is firm and very near the top. It took awhile to get it there. Had a couple leaks that I couldn't find, small enough that I couldn't see fluid but air was getting in. Replaced rear wheel cylinders. Got a set of tubing wrenches, cracked each connection in entire system open then closed a couple times, then bled system. Finally got it n now it works perfect.

Auto Transport Service
Back