• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Belvedere ballast resistor

Dave P

Local time
9:13 PM
Reaction score
According to the FSM the ignition switch shows a IGN 2 terminal on it with
it's wire going to the ballast resistors coil side. I'm guessing this is to supply
a full 12 volts when cranking the engine???
Some where back in time this brown wire was moved to the other side of the
ballast resistor ....was this a common thing to do, or why was it done.
It's nicely crimped with the usual ignition and voltage regulator wires.
Car starts and runs fine I just noticed the wiring change, only had this
car about two months.
Thank You
Dave

Some where back in time this brown wire was moved to the other side of the
ballast resistor ..

Does the brown wire connect with the blue wire going to the ignition coil? or with the other blue wire leading to the regulator?? To the regulator would be correct according to the factory wiring diagram.

In the manual I'm looking at it shows a dark blue with tracer and a dark blue connected on
what i'd call the feed side of the ballast resistor. The tracer wire goes to the IGN terminal
of the ignition switch and the solid dark blue to the voltage regulator. Same manual
shows the brown wire and the coil wire connected to the other terminal of the resister.
Brown wire coming from the IGN 2 ignition switch terminal. All that makes sense
to me but the question remained as to why somebody would move the brown
over and connect it to what's essentially the input side of the resistor.
We must be looking at two different wiring dia.
Dave

We must be looking at two different wiring dia.

Interesting, but that does seem true.... the info i found was from the MyMopar site wiring diagrams which are indeed official Chrysler, but I do see some that are DODGE and no mention of Chrysler-Plymouth.....

Auto Transport Service
Back