• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Belvedere II RH27 lost

Hyperhound

Local time
5:48 AM
Reaction score
Hey all-
Been meaning to post this for a while. Here's the scoop. My recently aquired '66 Belvedere II convertible seems to have had its [door] VIN tag gone missing at some point.
Trim tag reads: A1 302016 RH27 H4X SS1 B
Motor is currently a 361 : #26589308 with a casting date of 3.5.66 on the bottom. Rad support stamp: 61A1302016
I would love to find out the original VIN somehow, or any info on the history of the car (original motor code).
There is currently what appears to be a state issued VIN in the door jamb that reads GA7444 (Georgia????). Car was registered as an antique in Mississippi sometime around 2006-ish.
That's as much as I know about it. Car is currently (incorrectly) titled based upon the trim tag...would love to reconcile at some point....

Thanks in advance
-JT

Hate to tell you but if it's gone it's gone. Can't imagine why anyone would pull that tag unless some bonehead at a paint shop did it, then tossed/forgot it.

good luck

oh well

Hate to tell you but if it's gone it's gone. Can't imagine why anyone would pull that tag unless some bonehead at a paint shop did it, then tossed/forgot it.

good luck

Yeah, my expectations are pretty low to be honest. After reading Mopar collectors guide with all of Galen's found broadcast sheets I figured what the heck....worth a shot

-JT

good luck

There may be hope if the fender tag is the original. If it is, then the hidden body #s will match the fender tag S.O. number. If you can get someone at Chrysler Historical to search for it by the S.O. # for the IBM card it will tie the S.O. # to the V.I.N. It is my understanding that the cards are filed by assembly plant, and B body convertibles were only built at the St. Louis plant so that will narrow it down.

With a copy of the IBM card, the fender tag, and the hidden numbers matching, and an inspection by a law enforcement offical varifing all of this on an offical State form for this purpose, you should be able to get a reproduction V.I.N. plate made.

The hitch may be that since the car already has a State issued V.I.N. with a control # that follows that car's title history for the rest of it's life. You would have to know how the State ties THEIR issued tag to the actual car other than the V.I.N. tag and matching title. If there is something that ties the actual State issued V.I.N. plate to the body, it will be illegal to remove the tag and replace it with the ORIGINAL V.I.N. Not really logical in this case but logic goes out the window when dealing with the government. This is why when you have a situation like this people need to investigate and exhaust all other possible remedies BEFORE they involve the State, because they are all too happy to slap a State issued V.I.N. and control # on the car which seriously devalues an old muscle car.

lost

Thanks 696pack-
I can pursue those options. I think the State issued VIN in this case was from some time back. There was no evidence of that number on the previous title, bills of sale, etc.
The car is currently titled as a '64.....someone was smart enough (or dumb enough ) to know the decoding sequence. Using that methodology, the "4" in H4X on the fender tag, brought them to a model year of '64.
It's not a huge deal to me in the overall scheme of things (except that I tend to be anally retentive when it comes to my cars).
Sometime down the road I'd like to restore the car and, depending what I find, will determine the direction of that restoration when the time comes.

Thanks again
-JT

Thanks 696pack-
I can pursue those options. I think the State issued VIN in this case was from some time back. There was no evidence of that number on the previous title, bills of sale, etc.
The car is currently titled as a '64.....someone was smart enough (or dumb enough ) to know the decoding sequence. Using that methodology, the "4" in H4X on the fender tag, brought them to a model year of '64.
It's not a huge deal to me in the overall scheme of things (except that I tend to be anally retentive when it comes to my cars).
Sometime down the road I'd like to restore the car and, depending what I find, will determine the direction of that restoration when the time comes.

Thanks again
-JT

If you have previous title, bill of sale does it not have a correct 1967 V.I.N.?

Is the fender tag correct for a 67? If so, does the S.O. # on the tag match the number on the core support?

title

If you have previous title, bill of sale does it not have a correct 1967 V.I.N.?

Is the fender tag correct for a 67? If so, does the S.O. # on the tag match the number on the core support?

Unfortunately, the last title (from Mississippi) was also incorrect. They also used the fender tag number as the VIN. Fender tag and core support do match (car is '66 BTW and appears to be correct for the year). I probably should have taken down the PO-1 info on the previous title. For some reason I thought I'd be able to keep it, but the RMV took it when we registered the car (duh!). The RMV gave us major heartburn when we first tried to register it. CT (where the PO lived)and MA have different requirements regarding Bill of Sale , title, etc. Naturally, they were suspicious the car was hot due to the sketchiness of the situation, and by the end of the week we were just happy to have a plate for it!

-JT

Auto Transport Service
Back