• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Belvedere II stock car tribute build

Joe Jacalone

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:04 PM
Reaction score
My plan with this ratty but solid 1966 Belvedere II hardtop I just bought is to build it to look like a NASCAR stock car from that era. I will mostly keep the external patina, with some improvement. I intend to enlarge the wheel openings by cutting the fenders and quarters similar what they did back in the day,
and using a porta power as necessary in the rear to facilitate the use of larger wheels, possibly 15x10. I know it is isn't a Dodge, but I am going to try to mimic the paint scheme of the Cotton Owens #6 driven by Charlie Glotzbach.

66 Plymouth2.JPG

Cotton Owens 6.jpg

56 plymouth.jpg

I probably wouldn't cut those quarters.. They look to be in decent shape. The rear wheel house is welded to the quarter skin. I doubt you would achieve what you are looking for cutting them up.

I probably wouldn't cut those quarters.. They look to be in decent shape. The rear wheel house is welded to the quarter skin. I doubt you would achieve what you are looking for cutting them up.
I know what you are saying, I kind of hate cutting a car like this too. But it will definitely do what I want to do. I will separate wheel house from quarter skin, and porta power skin out to give fender bulge.

My plan with this ratty but solid 1966 Belvedere II hardtop I just bought is to build it to look like a NASCAR stock car from that era. I will mostly keep the external patina, with some improvement. I intend to enlarge the wheel openings by cutting the fenders and quarters similar what they did back in the day,
and using a porta power as necessary in the rear to facilitate the use of larger wheels, possibly 15x10. I know it is isn't a Dodge, but I am going to try to mimic the paint scheme of the Cotton Owens #6 driven by Charlie Glotzbach.

View attachment 1363131

View attachment 1363132

View attachment 1363133
Cool idea! Looking forward to watching the build and seeing the final product. I grew up watching those races and never made the jump to the newer stuff with all the same chassis, same engines, same profile just different stickers. It just wasn't stock-car racing to me anymore.

I'm sure you will find that the shape of the inner wheel wells is a pain to get big tires into. The shape is a pain. It's odd that the '66 wheel well is more restrictive than the '65.
Looks like a great project!!

I'm sure you will find that the shape of the inner wheel wells is a pain to get big tires into. The shape is a pain. It's odd that the '66 wheel well is more restrictive than the '65.
Looks like a great project!!
I know what you mean. I looked at what Petty did, and if you look closely, you can see it looks like he separated the outer skin from the wheelhouse. This is gonna be a roach car, not meant to be a show stopper.

67 Petty.jpg

I guarantee you the stock wheel well really tight on the upper area. If you take the whole wheel tub out you have some room.

Someone did a 67 Petty stock car tribute a few years ago which came out pretty nice. Perhaps someone else who remembers it can dig that old thread up.

The air chisel and a grinder will get you a lot of room to utilize the quarter panel size. Just takes courage.

Edit: I missed the part where you will separate the wheel housing/tub from the quarter panel. Make a new tub and you are good.

Last edited:
The air chisel and a grinder will get you a lot of room to utilize the quarter panel size. Just takes courage.

Edit: I missed the part where you will separate the wheel housing/tub from the quarter panel. Make a new tub and you are good.
If you look at this photo of Petty's car from 1966, you will get the idea of I am going to try to do. You can see there is a bulge in the quarter panel right above the wheel opening.

1966 Richard Petty.jpg

That bulge doesn't look that big to me. But the tubs have clearly been removed. Those tires are smaller than what is on my Satellite in street trim. The My problem was trying to fit 11.5W-29.5 (13.25 face by 30.25) into the wheel well. The tub gets too narrow in upper part on the quarter panel side.
Your project sure does look cool.

That bulge doesn't look that big to me. But the tubs have clearly been removed. Those tires are smaller than what is on my Satellite in street trim. The My problem was trying to fit 11.5W-29.5 (13.25 face by 30.25) into the wheel well. The tub gets too narrow in upper part on the quarter panel side.
Your project sure does look cool.

Thanks! You are right, the bulge is not that big, but is clearly evident that the quarter panel has been widened at the wheel opening. If you look at a stock Belvedere or Satellite, you can see that panel crease continues straight, with no bulge. I would love to know what you did to fit your larger tires.

I've not gotten the 11.5W's on the car, even though I did move the axle back 3/4". My current slicks are 11.5/28.5 and the street tires are 325/50 15 radials. My car has springs moved into the frame rails and mini tubbed, narrowed Dana.

So now that I have had time to closely inspect my Belvedere II, I tend to agree with some of the comments. I think it is too solid a car to cut up. I have found absolutely no filler in the bodywork. I think I will just fit the biggest wheels and tires I can fit without cutting it.

If you work with the wheel backspace you may be amazed at how large a tire might fit.

If you look at this photo of Petty's car from 1966, you will get the idea of I am going to try to do. You can see there is a bulge in the quarter panel right above the wheel opening.

View attachment 1363328
Whatever wheel well enlarging technology was used here, was probably used on the silver bullet, I would think.
Porta power comes to mind lol

Whatever wheel well enlarging technology was used here, was probably used on the silver bullet, I would think.
Porta power comes to mind lol
Yes, I mentioned a porta power above. But at this point I am going to try to fit the largest tire I can without modifying the wheel wells. I just ordered one of these wheels in a 15x8 with 4' BS to trial fit.

bassett.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back