• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger, 6.4 Hemi - on the road

JHCain

Local time
2:34 AM
Reaction score
Well, it's (mostly) complete. Put probably 75 miles on it on Saturday, and so far it's just what I was looking for. I still have to add in a fan controller (The Dakota Digital PAC-2750) won't calibrate to my factory gauge - rats), and complete the wiring to the factory tach driver, but it's all working just fine, other than that!

IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg
IMG_1779.jpg

Video isn't the first start, probably the third, but it was pretty much the same - gave it a couple of quick cranks to get fuel to the rails, then it fired up on the 3rd turn of the key.
[video=youtube;FH5AIcEZjl8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH5AIcEZjl8[/video]

Thanks for the help, encouragement and knowledge, folks!

dang it . . . my engine is only the 6.1 . . . maybe I need to get the Hemi on steroids for my car too ? ? ? ( LMAO )

Very nice - that's packing 10 pounds of engine into a 5 pound engine compartment - for sure !

Nice! Engine looks and sounds awesome! Do you have a link to the build of your car.
thanks
pat

I have to admit that sounds great. i hate Chrysler trys to pawn that motor off as a hemi but your car looks great and the hood scoop looks really cool.

How much did the conversion cost you start to finish? Any words to the wise or lessons learned?

Cost... Hmm... It's best to not add it up. The motor was pulled from a wrecked 2014 SRT Jeep. The computer and harness, plus plumbing, a little fabrication. It's not a cheap thing, but boy, it sure does run nicely.

Much of the build of the car is @ 1966Charger.com, up to about May of this year, when it was a 440 build. Then that motor wasn't my friend any more, and I went to the 6.4. I'll have that written up in the coming days for your enjoyment.

If you're on the fence about a swap, just do it. The 6.1 is such a great choice - I came across this 6.4 at the right time, and at a moment of weakness, but everything about it is more expensive than going 6.1... Then again, my buddy has a 6.1 in his Duster, and I just couldn't let that stand!

- - - Updated - - -

My big "Lesson learned," as well as the general thing that I've learned from doing a number of projects like this -

Never assume that what you read is correct. If you think you have a better idea, you probably do. If something seems too complicated, and you see a shorter path, try it. I read a LOT of stuff during this project - much of it just wrong. For instance - I found numerous references to the fact that the only starter that would work with this combo (6.4, 727, TTI headers) was some esoteric expensive doodad. I found one reference to a MOPAR truck starter (P56029274AA) that seemed like it should work. Ordered, and it's perfect. 95 bucks, and available easily should it need to be replaced.

That's my advice. You're smart - don't believe everything you read, until it's time to believe what you read!

Great build, looks like it came out very nice. Break it for about 500 miles, change the oil, and post the big smokey burn out video :)

Congrats on a nice swap

Nice build. I was surprised to see your car as I have a similar one underway at a restoration shop (I don't have time or skills to pull it off myself). I have a 67 Charger that will have a new 6.4L when complete plus RMS suspension, 4 wheel discs and a 6 speed transmission. There are only a few modern hemi first generation Chargers that I have come across - think your is the 3rd one I have seen. I suspect/hope my car will be complete in the Spring. Currently it is being painted (full rotisserie restoration) with the suspension just installed. Looking forward to you future posts

Beautiful car and sick build! Can I ask why you went with a 727 rather than a modern overdrive? Was there swap issues or just bugdet or is that the plan in the future??

Beautiful car and sick build! Can I ask why you went with a 727 rather than a modern overdrive? Was there swap issues or just bugdet or is that the plan in the future??

The modern mopar overdrive units are bigger, physically, and I wanted to avoid cutting the floor in the car. The 727 and GV overdrive works well for me, so I stuck with it...

- - - Updated - - -

Nice build. I was surprised to see your car as I have a similar one underway at a restoration shop (I don't have time or skills to pull it off myself). I have a 67 Charger that will have a new 6.4L when complete plus RMS suspension, 4 wheel discs and a 6 speed transmission. There are only a few modern hemi first generation Chargers that I have come across - think your is the 3rd one I have seen. I suspect/hope my car will be complete in the Spring. Currently it is being painted (full rotisserie restoration) with the suspension just installed. Looking forward to you future posts

Wow, sounds like you're building a great car. I've got the full RMS setup as well, with wilwood discs on all 4 corners. Rides and handles really well for such a large car!

Looks great. I'm currently doing a 6.4 into an E-Body.

Looks like a great 1st Gen finished product. Looking forward to seeing more of the story behind this car unfold too!

Did you use a ecm and harness from Dave at Modern Muscle for this build?

Did you use a ecm and harness from Dave at Modern Muscle for this build?

Greetings - I sourced my harness and ecm via Hotwire Auto. The ecm does have Dave's name on it, literally. The folks at Hotwire were great to work with on this build, as well as the 6.1 / Duster swap I was a part of a couple years ago.

Looks like a great installation job that should provide years of trouble free cruising!

Very cool ride! Looking forward to the build write up.

Auto Transport Service
Back