• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Charger tach. sending unit?

Terry Kitzman

Local time
10:18 AM
Reaction score
Can any one show me where the tach. sender bracket mounts on a 66 Charger? The plug is behind the glove box.

IMG_20210422_153359.jpg

I think they may have went to glovebox area mounting later in production..

There are things in that manual that changed when they actually produced the car.

There are things in that manual that changed when they actually produced the car.

Im sure theres a bit change. I got the manual for the headlight issues.
I know in my 66 , the Tach sender is under the console at the front . Right below the clock.

Any idea what the production date is? Does yours have the tail light resistance wire by the fuel filler in the trunk?

And does the wiring for the tach sender come from the console wiring under the seat?

And does the wiring for the tach sender come from the console wiring under the seat?
I can give you more info when I get out to the garage in the morning. If your talking to me. The book date is nov 15/65 D66-13.

Hey slimt, where can I find one of those?? Or are they unobtanium? If so, someone who has a copy should be kind enough to reproduce it!..lol
Im not sure where one can find this book .
I got this with my 66 quite a few years ago. Is there any issues with reprinting these books? Im sure theres a few folks that could use one of these.

Im not sure where one can find this book .
I got this with my 66 quite a few years ago. Is there any issues with reprinting these books? Im sure theres a few folks that could use one of these.
It wouldn't be too difficult with a printer/copier..just time consuming. But yes, I'm sure there are plently of 1st gen folks on here that could use a copy.
I'm one of them! :)

It wouldn't be too difficult with a printer/copier..just time consuming. But yes, I'm sure there are plently of 1st gen folks on here that could use a copy.
I'm one of them! :)
Its got alot of info. Windows, seats , headlight to dash wiring for flip lights. Complete body panel pictures. Let me see what I can do.

If you have time. I think the sending unit in the console was a carryover from the other cars that had the tach mounted on the console. Then they went to dash location. But interested in the tail light wire as a curiosity , sounds like your car might be an early build
I can give you more info when I get out to the garage in the morning. If your talking to me. The book date is nov 15/65 D66-13.

Its got alot of info. Windows, seats , headlight to dash wiring for flip lights. Complete body panel pictures. Let me see what I can do.
I was just ribbing you on making copies..but if you did, I would definitely pay for your time to have a copy. My car came to me in boxes, so I will be assembling a jigsaw puzzle over the next year.

Thanks!

I was just ribbing you on making copies..but if you did, I would definitely pay for your time to have a copy. My car came to me in boxes, so I will be assembling a jigsaw puzzle over the next year.

Thanks!
Im sure I can come up with something. It shows all the seat assembly , body parts , the types of clips , bushings. I believe the part numbers as well. I know at work I have the collision catalog. Gives all the measurements. Weld points. So on.

The tach. unit on my 66 Charger is behind the glove box -- on a ledge just below the glovebox.

Im sure I can come up with something. It shows all the seat assembly , body parts , the types of clips , bushings. I believe the part numbers as well. I know at work I have the collision catalog. Gives all the measurements. Weld points. So on.
Oh,nice! Yes that would be handy for sure. I will keep in touch, thanks again.

Dave

The interesting part is which way did they route the 4 wires. Either from the centre of the dash or through the console harness.
I know in my 66 , the Tach sender is under the console at the front . Right below the clock.

Auto Transport Service
Back