• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet 440 - Brought it home yesterday!

Joel Talka

Local time
12:51 PM
Reaction score
Hello everyone...

I'm new to this site and am just getting back into Mopar after lots of years away. I just bought a 1966 Coronet 440 which had led an interesting life. Today it is a 318 4bbl with a 4 speed. From the VIN and what I am told, it started out life as a 225 slant 6 automatic, white versus current red. With the car came a bunch of parts including a 440 block and crank, set of pistons and rods and a pair of heads. Naturally building out that 440 was a factor in the decision to buy.

I'm enclosing a bunch of pictures of the car and the parts. I would really like to get some thoughts on the block and the heads as far as being OK for a build out. Block and pistons are 30 over.

Next on the list is to check out the rear.. Just driving around it strikes me that the 4 speed may be a close ratio with the original tall automatic rear.

Thanks!

Joel

IMG_5734.jpg IMG_5735.jpg IMG_5729.jpg IMG_5738.jpg IMG_5739.jpg IMG_5740.jpg IMG_5741.jpg IMG_5742.jpg IMG_5730.jpg

Nice! What are the plans?
Inhave a soft spot for 66Coronet 440s as I learned to work on cars on Dad's back in about 67.

Nice! What are the plans?
Inhave a soft spot for 66Coronet 440s as I learned to work on cars on Dad's back in about 67.

Well, As I look it over it still needs some TLC. Again I think there is a mismatch between the 4 speed and the rear so that needs to get addressed. The guy I got it from did a lot of electrical "stuff" which I need to figure out and correct..for instance there are separate switches for the electric fuel pump and power to the ignition..if you shut the key off the motor continues running..stuff like that... Once I get the basics straightened out then hopefully comes the 440 motor..just need to save up the $$$.

The body is actually pretty good for its age..it was repaired and whoever did it did a nice job; including new trunk pan and repaired rear quarters. Looks good even up close. The rear bumper and trunk lid still need some restoration work.. I might swap out the Edelbrock AFB for a Holly...with an electric choke.

Aside from that, I'm looking forward to swap meets and cruise nights!!

Joel

PS... My "learning how to" car was my father's 1968 Satellite 318 auto...could not kill those cars!

You have a solid foundation to do what you want. I would see what gears I have, but only make changes according to my intended outcome. A 3.23 gear is good all around gear for both big and small block cars. My opinion is a higher gear, something in the 2's keeps you rowing gears in town, with a small block. Looks like you have some nice 68 440 parts for the intended build.

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That is a good looking '66 Coronet you have there. It likely has 2.76 or 2.94 gears in it, which makes it hard to get it rolling cleanly in first gear. As some else mentioned, 3.23 is a nice compromise gear. This is what Chrysler put in the majority of big block cars. A 440 in your 440 will really perk things up. You will need a big block bellhousing to go with it. Here's a picture of my '67 Coronet.

Frankenmuth Courtland Nationals 314.jpg IMG_3215.jpg

Ahhh, by brother killed the 225 in Dad's Coronet. He must have over tevved it-bet he missed a 1-2 shift and a rod started knocking. Dad traded it on a 70 318 Challenger and in six months my brother wrecked it. Made it hell for me to get my license let alone drive it.

Welcome from Indiana. Nice looking Coronet, great project.

Nice 66 and its together and running.
That 440 and parts looks like a good winter project.
Welcome , this is a great web sight.

Welcome to the site, there's tons of info on here and helpful members!
Just curious as to what you paid for it? I've been looking for awhile now

Hi, thanks for the note... I paid $19K which was probably way too much... The body is 90%, nice paint and most of the major rust areas have been replaced and are solid. Interior is actually very nice. It was a slant six auto but now has a 318 4bbl with stick. Needs mechanical work, front to back. It also came with a clean 440 block (1969), 906 heads, pistons, rods, oil pan etc..enough there to build a decent big block. I need to get the 318 running right as step #1. I'm thinking a crate motor, one of those 360 strokers rated at 465HP, could be fun!

Nice 66! I just got mine last month. Cruise ins and swap meets are something I'm looking forward to as well. This site is a wealth of info and some great people too.

Auto Transport Service
Back