• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet Brake pedal stuck

RobBob

Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
Doing a front disc brake upgrade and I removed the old brake cylinder and pushrod and pedal is stuck. It can move with some force, but it does not swing freely. It is still in the car and I cannot see a way to take out just the pedal.

How can I remove the pedal to clean and replace the bushings?
Do I have to take out the whole assembly?
Where can I buy the bushings?

I think you need to remove the entire assembly to get the bolt out, but I am not positive. Try spraying WD or something in there (bushings) to try to loosen them up.

The pedal will come out without removing the whole assembly. Need to look at one out of the car to see the secret. I don’t have one handy.

If you are going to spray something in there use a GOOD lubricant, and WD40 is not That good at lubricating.

The pedal will come out without removing the whole assembly. Need to look at one out of the car to see the secret. I don’t have one handy.

If you are going to spray something in there use a GOOD lubricant, and WD40 is not That good at lubricating.
I suggested WD to LOOSEN it up, not lubricate it. WD has worked great for me over the last 45+ years, and cost less than the "pigs with lipstick" penetrants. After it is loosened up, apply you favorite type of LUBRICANT.

Here is a picture of a 67 brake pedal, has a nut on passenger side of pivot. Might be hard to get to under the dash. The pedal should swing freely. Please let us know what’s inside there bushings or bearings.

The idea that WD40 has been around so long may tell us it’s great or it’s brand recognition. Every grocery store and mini market sells it because folks buy it. Don’t mean it that it’s very good. But it’s better than water. There are much better lubes and penetrants out there.

501A85FE-20C6-461E-ADCD-19011EE019C4.jpeg 25325112-2388-4BDE-8962-9C851CF5A50A.jpeg A67FCAFB-A2E8-4B9C-AD14-C81FC6144367.jpeg

Water displacing 40 is the number of times they adjusted the formula till they got it right. For some younger types it was developed for the moon missions.

The nut came off, but nothing else yet. It seems to be a puzzle.

For the side topic of WD40, I only think of it as temporary if nothing better available.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back