• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet Convertible Production Numbers

philcoradio

Local time
9:46 AM
Reaction score
E3ECA447-68D0-47F2-ACAD-C1FB941BFD3E.jpeg
Hey all,

Thanks for letting me join!
I own a 1966 Dodge Coronet 440 Convertible. Here’s what I got doing my own research off of the fender tag:

Fender tag
u1- ordered car
A3- 273 V8
B1- 2bbl
C5- automatic transmission
R1- 2 watt AM radio
Y1- black convertible top?

SO (shipping order date) - June 22, 1966
BDY - (WH27) 2 dr convertible
TRM - (H4X) Black interior
PAINT - (RR1 B) Yellow (Don’t know what “B” stands for)

Unfortunately I do not have a build sheet, so I don’t know if there’s any more options on the car. If anybody knows what options were available in 1966, I could decipher my car a bit more. Is there anybody who knows how many were produced or where I can find the correct production numbers. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Welcome from Pa. My brother has basically the same car but in white. Those are rare birds with the 273. I believe 429 were made with that drivetrain.

Last edited:
welcome to the site Chris any pics of the car?

Last edited:
welcome to the site Chris any pics of the car?

This is probably the best picture I have (I need to take better ones). I recently replaced the doors and am working on getting the windows back in the car. It looks a bit weird without the smoker windows. I bought the car from the third owner who bought it back in December of 1974. Been off the road since the late 1980’s to early 1990’s. Supposedly only has 35,000 original miles.
E6ABEBB6-A90A-47FC-A14A-048D1BB722F5.jpeg

Welcome from Illinois Chris! Nice find, that car is very worthy of your efforts. Daytime pics including underhood would help with getting answers to any questions you have.

One of our members has published a very detailed list of 1966 Coronet production figures.

I don't have the link any more but IIRC it had "glenwood76" in the address.

Welcome from Missouri!!!

View attachment 1213410 Hey all,

Thanks for letting me join!
I own a 1966 Dodge Coronet 440 Convertible. Here’s what I got doing my own research off of the fender tag:

Fender tag
u1- ordered car
A3- 273 V8
B1- 2bbl
C5- automatic transmission
R1- 2 watt AM radio
Y1- black convertible top?

SO (shipping order date) - June 22, 1966
BDY - (WH27) 2 dr convertible
TRM - (H4X) Black interior
PAINT - (RR1 B) Yellow (Don’t know what “B” stands for)

Unfortunately I do not have a build sheet, so I don’t know if there’s any more options on the car. If anybody knows what options were available in 1966, I could decipher my car a bit more. Is there anybody who knows how many were produced or where I can find the correct production numbers. Thanks in advance!

Chris

Send off a request to the Chrysler Heritage folks for the data card. It will take a while....but will really get you all the data you need.

Welcome from NY.
I had a friend in high school around 1980 that had a 66 4 door coronet with a 273

Thanks for all the warm welcomes and useful information! I’m new to the Mopar community and it’s great to have such a warm welcome. I’ll be posting more pictures soon as it’s been raining a lot here in NJ. I do know that the car doesn’t have the original engine. The owner before me told me that the original 273 blew up and he had it replaced with a 318 in the early 1980’s. I believe it’s an early block, but I can’t really tell. I do believe that it still has the original a904. Is there any way to tell if the trans is original to the car? One other thing I noticed was that it does have a factory clock in the dash. I don’t know if this is a rare thing to have or not. Again, thanks for all the warm welcomes and I’ll definitely be on here a lot.

Chris

I don't think the transmissions were stamped with any partial VIN's until '68. The clock is not a commonly found item and can usually work again with some very thin oil and cleaning of the contact points.

welcome to FBBO

good luck

I found the link in this thread-

https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/coronet-production-numbers.15143/

But for some reason, there's a "security check wall" that wants you to install an "incognito browser" extension before you can proceed.
I've never seen that before. Might not get that if you're not using chrome.

The page is complied by super-knowledgeable and helpful member @69Coronetrt

Perhaps he can shed some light.

Thanks for the shout out. I shut down the site hosting the production figures a couple years ago but here's a clip of that section....
Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 1.49.51 AM.jpg

The good thing about pre-1968 (and non-HP 273) is that you should be able to find one for a reasonable price, and if you do a bit of research and hold out for castings that have the correct date code.....

... you then have the "original engine" and no one can prove otherwise.

Auto Transport Service
Back