• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet front end lift

Adjust or replace the torsion bars.

On lower there's a bolt you tighten to raise front end. If make any adjustments have front tire off the ground. Count how many turns you tighten bolt, both sides same number of turns. Then have front end aligned and tell tech what you did so he doesn't undo your work. Service Manuals – MyMopar
The bolt is the adjuster.
ca.JPG

Before you make adjustments, check your lower control arm bushings. Good advice above.

Wire brush first, then Spray lube and soak before turning the bolts. Do this from the bottom side and you will be turning them clockwise to go up. Try 6 turns to start. Bounce and roll car To check height.

you will now need a front end alignment or edge wear will kill the tires quickly,

I've never needed an alignment after a 1-2 inch adjustment unless it was close to being out before the adjustment.
Although most of mine have bee lowering the front end.

Keep an eye on your tire wear...and check the toe (and driving feel/feedback) before and after.

I've also never had an issue raising the cat with the adjusters, but I've heard it can be.

Go slow and stop if it's binding or not moving.

You want to raise it a couple of inches from the stock right height??

Never seen a "squatted Coronet"?
I lowered the front end of my 66 Belvedere to within 1" of the bump stops....and it aligned well. The rear springs were already lowered via being old lol. All I did to the rear was add good shocks.

Auto Transport Service
Back