• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet Trunk Torsion Bars

magnumman

Local time
3:55 AM
Reaction score
Is it me or am I the only one having trouble keeping my trunk to stay open. Replaced the torsion bars with another set and its better but it still doesn't hold the trunk up. Has anyone run into this and how have they remedied it. No one manufactures the trunk torsion bars so I'm open to anything right now. HELP!

welcome to the site , you'll get a better response if you ask same question in general tech discussions

Welcome to FBBO

what he said or the general discussion or year specific forums too

Welcome to FBBO - thread moved to help get more responses. :thumbsup:

If it helps any, I know of several cars locally that have hood and trunk issues with staying open...but then they are full of bondo. Extra weight will affect the performance of any torsion bars installed.

Last edited:
Welcome to FBBO - thread moved to help get more responses. :thumbsup:

If it helps any, I know of several cars locally that have hood and trunk issues with staying open...but then they are full of bondo. Extra weight will affect the performance of any torsion bars installed.
Correct the they are designed for factory specs for weight. I had a wing on my trunk and it barely stayed open.

Correct the they are designed for factory specs for weight. I had a wing on my trunk and it barely stayed open.
I believe your 66 is the same as my 65 coronet. There are three (3) holes on each side where one end of the bar hooks into. My 65 is in the center hole. Try one of the other holes. One will increase tension and the other will decrease tension.

IMG_0187.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back