• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Coronet Trunk Torsion Bars

magnumman

Local time
10:29 AM
Reaction score
Is it me or am I the only one having trouble keeping my trunk to stay open. Replaced the torsion bars with another set and its better but it still doesn't hold the trunk up. Has anyone run into this and how have they remedied it. No one manufactures the trunk torsion bars so I'm open to anything right now. HELP!

Did you adjust them to the strongest slot?

Did you adjust them to the strongest slot?
Yeah we sure did. That's two sets I have and neither are strong enough to hold it up. Any suggestions, or do you know where I can get a good set? Don

How much filler is in the trunk lid? This can be problematic for the 500 model cars with all of the trim and heavy finish panel on the trunk.

How much filler is in the trunk lid? This can be problematic for the 500 model cars with all of the trim and heavy finish panel on the trunk.
It's yellow over black. Not an original big block, was fitted with a 440 during restoration and made to look like a 383 since 440s weren't available till 67.

I didn't realize it was you Don, maybe your air filter is too heavy. LOL

Could the be installed incorrectly? I always figured the adjustment was enough.

I didn't realize it was you Don, maybe your air filter is too heavy. LOL

Could the be installed incorrectly? I always figured the adjustment was enough.
YES SIR! PRETTY SURE? IT WASN'T EASY TRYING TO GET THEM DOWN TO THE LOWEST POSITION BECAUSE OF THE TENSION, SO I'M ASSUMING THEY'RE IN CORRECT. COULD WE BE WRONG? RICHARD, I WILL GET YOU SOME PICS OF THE CAR NOW THAT IT IS DONE. THAT WAY YOU CAN SEE YOUR AIR CLEANER AND YOU CAN SEE THE CLOCK (after you gave me the tip on the clock). I SHOULD PROBABLY POST SOME UP TO DATE PICS ON THIS SITE.

If you want I can weigh a trunk lid for comparison to yours? I will say that our 500 MODEL Coronet trunk lid feels much heavier when opening that our 440 MODEL Coronet that does not have as much trim or a finish panel. I'll look and see what holes the rods are in as well.

Auto Transport Service
Back