• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Dodge Coronet 500

SIX TO GO

Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
Hey there fellow Mopar aficionados. I’m not really new to the club as a professional lurker for a couple of years looking to buy a car that my taste buds and checkbook can agree upon but, I am a novice at posting.

I’ve had (past tense) a few cars over the years: 4 A bodies, 1 B body and 1 E body but a week ago today I bought my second B body. A 1966 Dodge Coronet 500. I picked it up at Mecum Auto Auctions in Kissimmee, Florida and drove it home.

C0C9305C-4ABE-47B6-B3CB-096229D75958.jpeg

To see the car in greater detail you can see lots of pictures and a video of it here. 1966 Dodge Coronet 500. It’s nice and the guy clearly stuck a lot of money into restoring it but it’s got things wrong with it that will keep me and some local shops busy getting everything we can as close to perfect as I’m willing and able to spend on it.
Any way, thought I’d speak up and say hello.
If there’s anyone here who’s really knowledgeable on how to make this car more accurate to the way it would have rolled off the assembly line in 1966, I’d like to connect with you.
I’m not interested in making the car 100% accurate but…if I am going to need to address an issue then I’m more interested in putting it back towards original than I am using whatever is available off the shelf.
At a glance I can tell the ignition system, carburetor, windshield washer motor and repaint of the front grill are incorrect and would like to put those back to being accurate. I’m sure there’s eagle eyes in here that can spot more from a mile away.

Thanks all!

D8E1F439-106A-41ED-B100-C3236E2BFA4C.jpeg

966A16DA-E0CE-4D6D-9BE7-15ABCBC91D10.jpeg

AE1B3DF0-A282-4F07-B479-90401ABB1A0C.jpeg

83AB0231-A26D-49BC-8649-31FDDC0CB7D6.jpeg

Greetings and welcome to FBBO from western NY! Nice looking Coronet!

That's a beauty!! Congratulations and welcome to FBBO! For best results on your technical questions, post them in our Classic Mopar Tech section, which you'll find by scrolling down our Forums page.

Welcome! I have a 66 500 too, but with a 361 and ac. It's pretty original.

Welcome! Pair of 66 500 converts here.

Welcome from NY.
You chose well.
The magnum road wheels aren't correct either but they look great. I wouldn't switch them out.

Welcome from NY.
You chose well.
The magnum road wheels aren't correct either but they look great. I wouldn't switch them out.
Thanks! I agree on the Magnum road wheels, I’ve always wanted a car with them on it.

I got a factory sales brochure with the car I found in the trunk and in it, as a centerfold, is this picture.
91F134F1-945C-45A6-8F6F-816384B70D4B.jpeg

I’m guessing the 500’s came with these hubcaps and white walls.
Another thing I noticed from the attached picture is that the 383 four barrel tag is actually under the Coronet 500 tag on the front of the fender versus being towards the rear of the front fender as it is on my car.
Also, the Penstar in the photo is silver versus mine being gold. I have always seen them in gold, and I’ve never noticed before that Mopar had them in silver.
Lastly, the differences in placement and color could be because the photographed car could have been a pre-production model and not necessarily how they came off the production line.

Thanks! I agree on the Magnum road wheels, I’ve always wanted a car with them on it.

I got a factory sales brochure with the car I found in the trunk and in it, as a centerfold, is this picture.
View attachment 1401056
Another thing I noticed from the attached picture is that the 383 four barrel tag is actually under the Coronet 500 tag on the front of the fender versus being towards the rear of the front fender as it is on my car.
Also, the Penstar in the photo is silver versus mine being gold. I have always seen them in gold, and I’ve never noticed before that Mopar had them in silver.
Lastly, the differences in placement and color could be because the photographed car could have been a pre-production model and not necessarily how they came off the production line.
Correct on the pre production photo

View attachment 1401056
My coronet has the V8 emblem on the fender between door and fenderwell.

Nice Coronet 500

welcome to FBBO from NorCal Sierras

Welcome to FBBO from Ontario. That looks like a beauty of a Coronet 500! Have fun detailing it, since most of the heavy lifting is done. I like the uncommon Gold/Gold combination. I once had a '64 Polara convertible in a similar colour combination, and found that it drew female spectators to it at car shows, like flies to a $hitpile. LOL

Welcome from Alabama, very nice Coronet 500.

Auto Transport Service
Back