• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Door Hinges Query

66 Sat

Local time
5:27 AM
Reaction score
Hi I have 2 different lower door hinges on my 66 Satellite. The passenger side hinge (2nd photo) is playing up - the door jumps a bit when closing from fully open to partially open, as the guide wheel moves over the inverted U shaped bar.
The driver's side door has a different type of hinge.
Can the hinge be tightened or adjusted, and which hinge is correct for the model year?
Thanks
20210719_144347.jpg
20210719_144439.jpg

Do you have a catch spring on the drivers door? On the upper hinge? I bet it was swapped out from a four door car.

Upper hinges appear to be the same. I just had another look at the driver's door lower hinge and it too has the inverted U bar, but it's in a different location - I took a better photo.
20210719_153734.jpg
20210719_153734.jpg
20210719_153726.jpg
20210719_153600.jpg

I think the same hinge was used on both sides. The factory just flipped it over to fit the other side.
Mike

The cogged rollers would be on the bottom side as it’s upside down compared to the passenger side.

Last edited:
You may need to rebuild at least your driver side door hinge - pass side may still be OK as they are opened/closed less. With the door partway open, lift up on the back edge - if it moves up and down your hinges are worn and need replacing. This could be part of the jumping you have noticed. RestoRick by far has the best rebuild kits in my opinion. But the are a bit more as you need to buy the reamer and possibly a drill bit for the lower hinge, larger replacement pin. The last one I did I roped the back of the door to my telescopic, hydraulic transmission jack and removed and rebuilt the hinges one at a time. Still have to do some careful adjusting when done - the front door to fender fit on these cars has several potential interference points - read that as potential door edge chips.

Those “S” springs are a bit of a puzzle to remove/replace, although if you study it a bit you can figure out how to do it with a long handle screw driver and a small rubber hammer. If your old ones are in good shape and you don’t want to mess with trying to touch up paint the springs, you can re-use them and just leave them in place and install the larger, new pin.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back