• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Hemi Belvedere II Project

Al T

Local time
7:34 AM
Reaction score
I recently purchased a '66 Belvedere II 2 door hardtop Hemi project. The car is black with red interior, has a rebuilt Hemi 727 and engine needing a rebuild.
The car was last registered in ‘71 and the original owner was a Chrysler Proving Grounds engineer. The previous owner I bought the car from had the title from the original owner so was able to pass along to me the original owners name.
It is truly amazing what you can find on the internet! I googled the original owners name and came up with his obituary (he unfortunately passed in 2016). The obituary mentioned the name of his children. I was able to track down his son and I had a great conversation with him. Pretty interesting story about the car….. and his Dad!
His first comment when I talked to him (after explaining why I was reaching out) was "You may not want to hear this". It turns out his Dad bought it new in ‘66 and immediately pulled the Hemi out (I'm assuming they weren't available over the counter yet), installed a 318 in it and put the Hemi in a ‘33 Plymouth coupe he had.
He said his dad sold the car around 1971. I’m guessing whoever bought it had it in storage the whole time with an open title. That would explain why the guy I bought it from had the original owners name on the title... and the car is in the shape it is. His son was shocked the car was still around. He said he was around 15 when his Dad sold the car.
His Dad's original job with Chrysler was as a test driver at the Chrysler proving grounds, then became a developmental engineer, worked in the Hemi transmission program, ran the taxi division…… and so on. Definitely an interesting life, and from everything I've read about him, was a pretty amazing human being.
He said his Dad sold the Hemi from the Belvedere about a year before he died in 2016. He was going to see if he could track it down for me but I'm still waiting to hear about it. I've told him he's more than welcome to come take the Belvedere for a drive when it's completed.
Here's some photos of the car (I'll be moving it to St. Louis in early September) and a photo the son sent me of the 33 Plymouth the Hemi went into. The car is on the left.

I'm sure I'll have a ton of questions through the build. Thanks in advance.

Allan
IMG_5809.PNG
IMG_0571.JPG
IMG_0573.JPG
IMG_0576.JPEG
IMG_0577.JPEG
IMG_0579.JPEG
IMG_1241.jpg

Last edited:
Nice project. Did someone remove the driver fender mounting bracket for starter relay and horn relay? One front fender there's a small rectangle is that HP2 emblem?

Nice project. Did someone remove the driver fender mounting bracket for starter relay and horn relay? One front fender there's a small rectangle is that HP2 emblem?
I haven't seen the car in person as of yet. I was assuming the small rectangular emblems are HP2 emblems. I actually just sent a text to the previous owner earlier this morning asking that very question. As far as the bracket.... I have no idea. Here's another engine compartment photo.
IMG_0572.JPG

Last edited:
Well you already know you have my interest in a big way.

Wow that's quite the history. Looks like it's in amazing shape.

What do you do in alberta? Oilfield?

Is 5th digit in VIN H that tells the story.
First 5 digits are RH23H. The fender tag is 735 as well.
Well you already know you have my interest in a big way.
Hahaha! I've appreciated the info!
Wow that's quite the history. Looks like it's in amazing shape.

What do you do in alberta? Oilfield?
I've been in Industrial construction for the last 30 years. Oil and Gas, Petrochemical, Power, Transmission and Renewables. Where in SK are you? My son lives in Regina.

I'm waaay up in Saskatoon.

If you need a motor built, the #1 guy is in Regina.

When I talked to the son, I asked him how much his Dad drove the car. He said he used it to go back and forth to work, but also had another car. I mentioned the mileage on the odometer and he said that very well could be accurate. Looking at the pedal pads..... if they haven't been replaced, who knows!!
IMG_6041.png

Thanks!

Here's my first question(s) to the forum. The car did not have the transmission crossmember nor engine mounts. I'm planning on bolting the block and transmission together and installing into the engine bay to ease transport. I've picked up a 66-69 automatic crossmember. I'm assuming a Hemi car doesn't use a Hemi specific transmission crossmember? Also I need to pick up engine mounts. Any suggestions on where to buy them? The vendors I've looked at, they're out of stock. Also, am I missing anything on the Hemi K-member in the car? .......... so much to learn. lol
IMG_0572.JPG

Last edited:
Passengers MM is hemi can't drivers side, it has a bol4 front to back one on top. Is there a skid plate on bottom. Check back seat under spring for build sheet and under front drivers seat carpet. There are other places for BS depends on which plant.
Think auto trans are the same.

Be sure to ask about the roll bar, Hemi radiator, driveshaft and auxiliary transmission cooler, as they are all somewhat rare and hard or expensive to find.

Not one to tell others what to do, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say if that car is real, it should be preserved to day one specifications....no 80`s mods as I like to call some of Mopars after the fact improvements.
You'd be doing the entire Mopar collectors family a great service if you pull it off.
I kinda find it hard to believe the last guy let it go..... I can understand the original owner, as they were easy come, easy go then. Nice catch either way.

Thanks!

Here's my first question(s) to the forum. The car did not have the transmission crossmember nor engine mounts. I'm planning on bolting the block and transmission together and installing into the engine bay to ease transport. I've picked up a 66-69 automatic crossmember. I'm assuming a Hemi car doesn't use a Hemi specific transmission crossmember? Also I need to pick up engine mounts. Any suggestions on where to buy them? The vendors I've looked at, they're out of stock. Also, am I missing anything on the Hemi K-member in the car? .......... so much to learn. lol
View attachment 1328975
Trans crossmember is bot hemi specific. Yes MM are out there, there are tons of vendors that sell this stuff. Just keep looking. Start a thread for hemi motor mount vendors, and you'll get lots of options. I have a 66 Belvedere II hemi auto on column as well that I am piecing back together. Please keep this thread alive and document your progress. Your color combination is my dream car, lol. Good luck!

I found the pics of the other one I know of. Dont know if it ever sold or not .
Vin tag rivets make it suspect, and no data tag that I remember

s-l1600L.jpg

s-l1600H.jpg

VIN-tag.jpg

I saw it on Craigslist a few weeks back and posted a pic on the cool 66/67 thread very cool car and what a great story as well. I think it was in Kentucky but not sure .

I found the pics of the other one I know of. Dont know if it ever sold or not .
Vin tag rivets make it suspect, and no data tag that I remember

View attachment 1329244
Thanks for the photos. What is up with the dash on the VIN tag? I've never seen that before!
I saw it on Craigslist a few weeks back and posted a pic on the cool 66/67 thread very cool car and what a great story as well. I think it was in Kentucky but not sure .
The car was/is in TN. It'll be in St. Louis in early September. lol
I almost called about it asking price was $30,000
That was the ad.
IMG_8620.png

Auto Transport Service
Back