• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Mopar B Body Power Steering Box Interchangeability

Dave Bailey

Local time
6:58 AM
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have a 1966 383 Charger and I’m replacing the power steering box. I sent the original box (Casting # 2267262) out to the rebuilder. Ordered via Rockauto and they were supposed to "rebuild and return" my unit. Instead they sent me back a newer box (Casting # 3643311). As best I can tell 3643311 is out of a 1973 or later B body. Visually it looks like it would work but since it out of much later year I’m not sure it will fit. Anyone know if box 3643311 will work in a 1966 B? Thanks!!

Dave B

Nope....
The 1973 and later models used a bigger shaft where the Pitman arm attaches. Small sector is 1 1/8", large from 1973 on is 1 1/4". I'm not sure if a Pitman from a 1973 will be shaped right....It could, I just don't know.

Use a pitman arm from a 73 challenger and it will be fine.

I would be asking where the helll my original box was though

Note some later and aftermarket pittman arms have a radically different shape...

...but the geometry is the same.

I would return it and call Steer and Gear and get one of their "modern" or "sport" setup boxes.
If I remember correctly I have the modern style in my Charger and it is far better than the full time assist on the original gearbox.

I would return it and call Steer and Gear and get one of their "modern" or "sport" setup boxes.
If I remember correctly I have the modern style in my Charger and it is far better than the full time assist on the original gearbox.
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Put the modern on mine last fall. NICE!

And put a new pressure hose on it when you install the box.
After 50 years they blow up and create a fire hazard.

If you end up with a newer box with the larger pitman spline, use a pitman arm from a '70's Cordoba.

Thanks guys for the great info. I'm planning on installing the new box this week (assuming I don't pass out from the 95
degree heatwave!

95 degrees?
Pffft!

8-16-A.png

Auto Transport Service
Back