• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 rear leafs

toppers33

Local time
9:54 AM
Reaction score
Hi I'm looking for specs of the rear leaf springs for having a pair made up in the UK. Shipping a delivery tines are a killer from USA at present. I may consider re-arching but most research I have done suggests they would sag again in the near future.

1966 Dodge Coronet 440, 383ci, Tflite, 8 3/4SG, cruiser only. Standard torsion arms up front. Currently has Gabriel air jackers that I suspect are fitted to counter the worn out leafs. If I back the pressure out of the rear dampers the car sits real low. Before I pull the full axle (giving it a service too) should I measure the current ride height with air jackers unpressurised then jack the body to the required ride height and note the 2 dimensions so the UK supplier knows how much of an increase I need?

Specs I have found and would like confirming or commented on are;

- What spring rate should I specify for standard leafs for my car and year for cruising use only.
- After researching spring length for front and rear leaf surface from locating centre bolt to eye I found it should be 22" front and 36" rear.
- The eye diameter, leaf width etc they can take from the existing leafs.
- What arch should I be requesting, or would they work this out based on what they currently are plus any additional arch to get to my requested ride height?
- Is there anything else that would be critical to the job that I'd need to pass on? I wouldn't expect a UK spring supplier to have the spec so I'm hoping someone here can confirm/ help out with specs to pass on.
I'd be disappointed to end up having them made and the car sit too high or low. I intend on fitting a pair or quality dampers.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Lee
Pic attached as we all to see the cars in question..

20190609_123119.jpg 20190609_123158.jpg

Last edited:
Whats wrong with it ? To me it looks like a decent stance. I had a 66. The rear springs were reversed in a worn out way. They required replacement.

Whats wrong with it ? To me it looks like a decent stance. I had a 66. The rear springs were reversed in a worn out way. They required replacement.

I have about 100psi on the air jackers. Any rear passenger weight added and it sits real low. The dampers are compensating for the worn out leafs.

Hi I'm looking for specs of the rear leaf springs for having a pair made up in the UK. Shipping a delivery tines are a killer from USA at present. I may consider re-arching but most research I have done suggests they would sag again in the near future.

1965 Dodge Coronet 440, 383ci, Tflite, 8 3/4SG, cruiser only. Standard torsion arms up front. Currently has Gabriel air jackers that I suspect are fitted to counter the worn out leafs. If I back the pressure out of the rear dampers the car sits real low. Before I pull the full axle (giving it a service too) should I measure the current ride height with air jackers unpressurised then jack the body to the required ride height and note the 2 dimensions so the UK supplier knows how much of an increase I need?

Specs I have found and would like confirming or commented on are;

- What spring rate should I specify for standard leafs for my car and year for cruising use only.
- After researching spring length for front and rear leaf surface from locating centre bolt to eye I found it should be 22" front and 36" rear.
- The eye diameter, leaf width etc they can take from the existing leafs.
- What arch should I be requesting, or would they work this out based on what they currently are plus any additional arch to get to my requested ride height?
- Is there anything else that would be critical to the job that I'd need to pass on? I wouldn't expect a UK spring supplier to have the spec so I'm hoping someone here can confirm/ help out with specs to pass on.
I'd be disappointed to end up having them made and the car sit too high or low. I intend on fitting a pair or quality dampers.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers, Lee
Pic attached as we all to see the cars in question..

View attachment 1175947 View attachment 1175948
That's a nice 66. (not a 65)

Last edited:
I don't have any useful info for you but please replace those springs soon and throw the air shocks in the trash. They will destroy the upper shock mount quickly.

Here's a Mancini chart with some dimensions. Note a difference between 65 and the 66 you have.

mancini spring chart.jpg

Just dont talk bonnets and boots. :)

Can't help with your question, but I LOVE your car.

Is it a factory WH23G6 VIN 383 car?

If so, I'm collecting info for a 66 383 440 model registry and would love to have your car be part of it.

I currently have about 12 of the 1679 cars produced.

Last edited:
I have seen people that just added a leaf to the existing springs, brings the back end up nicely. I think there are places that sell the single leaf outright.
I had very poor luck with Mopar Performance 440/Hemi springs. They were so poor, that the dealer refunded my money and told me to keep the springs.
Would it be possible for you to go to a spring shop, with the car and ask them to either add a leaf or build a set of springs.

Can't help with your question, but I LOVE your car.

Is it a factory WH23G6 VIN 383 car?

If so, I'm collecting info for a 66 383 440 model registry and would love to have your car be part of it.

I currently have about 12 of the 1679 cars produced.

Yes it is a WH23G6, thanks for the kind comments. Still has its certified but little other history. Private message me for any info you would like and I'll help where I can.

I have seen people that just added a leaf to the existing springs, brings the back end up nicely. I think there are places that sell the single leaf outright.
I had very poor luck with Mopar Performance 440/Hemi springs. They were so poor, that the dealer refunded my money and told me to keep the springs.
Would it be possible for you to go to a spring shop, with the car and ask them to either add a leaf or build a set of springs.
I'm still looking at options. I found part numbers this evening on the existing ones. P4452983 and P4452983. With the air jackers off the car it sits 19" from the floor to the lowest part of the arch when measured through the wheel centre. I can bounce the rear of the car with 2 fingers. Summit list the Mopar Performance ones that mine x ref to, Rock Auto lists x2 sets by a different manufacturer.
I'd like the car to utilise standard non assisted dampers and sit around 25" as measured above. The first picture is on current leafs, the 2nd picture where I'd like it to sit. A few folk have told me they haven't been impressed with the HD Mopar Perfomace ones. It's a lot of money to spend with shipping and taxes so I'll keep digesting the info.

20211007_182658.jpg 20211007_184726.jpg Screenshot_20211007-210524_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211007-210538_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211007-210632_Chrome.jpg

I had the Mopar performance springs as mentioned, when I installed them, the car dropped about 1 inch. When I complained, I was told that if the part number started with a P for example P4452983 there was not any warranty. But as mentioned, the Dealer refunded my money.
Our springs are built to factory specifications for a 440/Hemi. Will try to post a picture. 275x60-15’s on the back, 8x15 rim. 225x75-15’s on the front, 15x7 rim.

Auto Transport Service
Back