• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1966 Transmission Identification

Rusty

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:30 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to tell if a auto trans is for a 66?, Since there is no Vin I'm curious how to tell you have a matching trans.
Thanks

Along the pan rail is a series of numbers. The first series begins with letter. Take the sequence (7 digits after the letter) and put it into Google with the word transmission. You'll doubtless be directed to to some search result that answers your question.
IMG_3649.JPG

If left original, '66 model year is rather unique.... It will have the small 19spline?? input shaft and therefore only be able to use early type converters, it will have a slip yoke tail like all '65 and later, yet it will NOT be cable shifted like a '65 and earlier. The trans ID number is a sure bet as well.

HTH, Lefty71

I have a 66 727 sitting in my shop if you need to compare anything. 66 does have the different 19 spline input shaft.

Can you post a picture of the trans ID number?
Thanks

My 67 came with the 30 spline. I'll take a pic of the stamp as well.

Here is another question for you wizards, is the trans different for a 66 Hemi car - automatic?

Here is another question for you wizards, is the trans different for a 66 Hemi car - automatic?
Yes, 4 pinion clusters instead of 3, 5 clutches instead of 4, governor shifts higher, some other stuff too. Torque converters still swap, just a little beefier inside, nice place to start if you have one.

What about markings, trans ID numbers?

Any decoding of that?

Im on business travel till next thursday and can post them then, I found a spare claimed to be 66 Hemi trans I might pick up hence all of my questions

On my 66 Hemi trans the pump housing was machined for torque convertor clearance. Don't know if in 67's had modified housings when they went to more splines, or if they changed pump housing to fit hemi convertors. A 67 GTX had a small spline trans probably non original and he put a fairbanks hemi type convertor in his 67 GTX and the convertor rubbed on pump housing. Wrecked the convertor. Maybe @dvw can answer if only 66 had machined front pump housing.

Just got a picture of the one that's for sale, looks like a 66 based on Nates posting.

66 hemi trans.png

Bad Picture - It reads as follows.
H2538389 2931475

Can anyone shed some light on the second set of numbers?
2538389 I Now know is a Hemi But what does the second set mean and is there a way to match it to a car?
I have two trans
1. H2538389 2931475
2. H2538389 3100442

There is no way to positively match a pre 68 trans to the car. The best you can do is have the correct part number for your application, and a casting date earlier than the scheduled production date of your car. I don't know what the numbers after the part number mean on a pre 68 trans. On a 68 up trans the first 4 digits are the 10,000 day calendar assembly date, and the second 4 are a daily sequence number.

Auto Transport Service
Back