• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 440 Motor

furyous1964

Local time
11:00 AM
Reaction score
Why is it that everything for the aftermarket from intake to oil pan says it only fits 68+ 440's? Having a problem with this. Intake manifolds like the performer rpm etc... specify year of motors that it fits and it is always 68 and up. Is there a problem with fitment issues or do they just say that cause it has 915 heads instead of 906 or 452's? The problem with that is even when looking at heads for a 440 they specify 68 and up. Is 1967 the bastard child that gets forgotten or what? Are there any fitment issues with intakes and heads on a 67 block? Any help would be appreciated it.

Yes 67 is the bastard child it seems..Pretty much anything pre 68 seems to be...I had a hard time finding alot of things for my 67 GTX...You have to remember that the 68 to 70 mopars seems to be the one everyone wants..Slowly but surely more stuff is being available everyday as the pre 68 cars are getting more popular..There are alot of really cool mopars that are pre 68!!!
I,d rather push my PLYMOUTH than drive a ford!!A 440 is a 440!!!No difference!!!
Petty Blue 67 GTX

Petty Blue 67 GTX

I've got a 67 440 block sitting in the garage, tightly wrapped with a garbage bag that I really don't want to have to remove. I sort of remember hearing that the 67 and earlier 440's don't have the extra 'webbing' or beefier sides on the block, between the casting plugs. Someone please chime in if this isn't correct!

I do know that they had an industrial 440 block that did have extra webbing...They also called it a cold weather block..Still a 440 is a 440...All the heads and exhaust are interchangeable...This has nothing to do with companys advertising 68 and up 440 parts like furious1964 said..
Petty Blue 67 GTX

Many vendors don't even think about a 440 being built in 66 since it only came in the luxo liners but the 67 made it's debut in 67 as the top of the line performance engine. Why they don't recognize it is beyond me. Also, the extra ribs don't mean much to me and have used blocks with and without them and never experienced any failure because of the lack of them but I know some people avoid them like the plague...

In my opinion there are no bad 440 blocks, or any big block MoPar for that matter! I have heard the stories about ribbed blocks, etc.. but like Cranky said I doubt you can pin a failure on a block based on ribs or no ribs. I also agree that the aftermarket doesn't know that a 67 440 exists. Those of us who have been dealing with MoPars for 25 yrs or more are used to seeing the lack of parts availability from the aftermarket - at least until recently. Use the block.

68-70 heads are the 906's and 915's are 67 only. Use the 915's or get a set of Edelbrocks. Closed chambers are your friend!

Are you looking it up car specific. Maybe your model didnt offer the 440 before 68. I had this problem with the 440 in my 66 net. In 66 the big block nets were 361 383 and 426.

Are you looking it up car specific. Maybe your model didnt offer the 440 before 68. I had this problem with the 440 in my 66 net. In 66 the big block nets were 361 383 and 426.
Right....the 440 was only offered in the biggest of the land barges in 66 so you won't see them listed in the catalogs and the only B body cars they were offered in 67 were the GTX and the RT...

Auto Transport Service
Back