• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Belvedere 383 Super Commando Cam question

Stowe

Local time
2:18 AM
Reaction score
Hello,
Build of my 67 Belvedere changed directions. I decided not to use my 426 and bring the car back to its original configuration . I sourced a fresh from machine shop 383, built with 400 crank .30 over Ported 452 heads . Eldebrock single plane manifold , and headers . I am in the process of selecting cam and lifters . The builder suggested purple power cam with 69 roadrunner specs. Just looking for a nice cruiser . No power brakes 4 speed with dayna 60 3.55 gears. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a new but old in the original box Sig Erson grind of the factory magnum cam that I’d sell cheap. Postage will be up there but the cam would be cheap enough. PM me if interested.

You’d really like to know what the compression ratio is before selecting a cam, since it’s pretty easy to end up at 8:1 with a 383 if you’re not paying attention.

A 400 cast crank would be externally balanced, and it’s rare for them to have the hole drilled for the std trans input shaft.

Got my factory magnum cam from Rock Auto for pretty cheap. Melling. Works just great, I like the grind. Even if the compression ratio sucks it’s still pretty mild and works ok.

Auto Transport Service
Back