• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Charger Factory Wheel Well Height

Kirch

Local time
10:21 AM
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a 1967 Charger and it has rear factory suspension. I replace the front suspension.
Now I have a low rider, but speed bumps are like a wall to me.

I need to replace the rear leaf springs and then I can spin up the front torsion bars.

My issue: What is the actual fender wheel well height (Floor to upper trim) for the rear?

Trying to decide to replace with OEM or adding 1.5 inches of rise. But stumped as I have no measurement of what stock would be.
Tire size all the way around is: P225/70R14
Yep, All new drum brakes as well, Stops crazy fast.

PXL_20230220_034752600 - Copy.jpg

Welcome from Alabama, I can't help with a answer on that, as I have never had a 66 or 67 Charger.

Welcome from NY.
As far as the ride height, on mine I can see top of the tire if I look straight accross at the bottom of the wheel lip molding.
Note too that when you replace the rear springs you should replace the bushings on the rear shackles as well.
That's a pretty easy task.

Jr4armbWIuN9Wez4xzlyGyg=w1232-h924-s-no?authuser=0.jpg

Welcome to the site. There is a long drawn out and complex procedure for measuring and adjusting the ride height on these old Mopars. I take the simpler approach and adjust them to where they look good and leave it at that. Jack the car up, support it with stands, and let the suspension unload. You can then run the torsion bar adjusters up or down quite easily. A squirt ot two of penetrating oil really helps. Lower the car, bounce it a few times and measure side to side at a reference point. I use the top of the wheel opening. You can adjust the drivers side 1/4" or so higher to make up for drivers weight. It will take you a few tries to get it close.
Hello all,
I have a 1967 Charger and it has rear factory suspension. I replace the front suspension.
Now I have a low rider, but speed bumps are like a wall to me.

I need to replace the rear leaf springs and then I can spin up the front torsion bars.

My issue: What is the actual fender wheel well height (Floor to upper trim) for the rear?

Trying to decide to replace with OEM or adding 1.5 inches of rise. But stumped as I have no measurement of what stock would be.
Tire size all the way around is: P225/70R14
Yep, All new drum brakes as well, Stops crazy fast.

View attachment 1421093
You car does sit a bit low but with 14" tires I can see why. It doesn't look like you are too far away from where you need to be. ESPO is a great place to by springs. They have them in stock 1 and 2" over.

Last edited:
Nice car. I love turbine bronze.

Don't places like Espo springs already know the stock height/stock curve ?

So you can order +1 or +2 from there?

Welcome! Nice car!
The cars never sat very high new. And the 14" tires don't help. That was the look they were going for, low long and sleek. The more you jack it up, the more you'll see how little the tires are.
But that being said, I'd agree with you about getting new springs. 1" higher than stock at least. As mentioned, espo gets good reviews.
Pretty hard to get an accurate measurement from anyone because their springs are either 55 yrs old and sagged, (like yours) or have been changed out so they aren't stock anymore.

Sometimes just adding a leaf will do it. I ordered a set of springs through the Chrysler Dealer one time. Were not good, Dealer refunded my money and told me to do whatever I wanted with the springs I had a new set made. Will try to send pictures, 15 inch tires.

welcome to FBBO

Welcome from Missouri!!

Auto Transport Service
Back