• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Charger on car steering gear reseal

Moparnocar

Local time
9:32 PM
Reaction score
1967 Charger, got her going after 40 years in a barn, only problem is a pretty good leak from the steering gear, in the area the lower intermediate shaft hooks up.

My question: can this seal/seals be changed out on the car? It works great otherwise, and I want to keep wrench time down if I can, thanks

Todays trick... First get the pitman arm off... You'll need a good puller for that... The first thing you'll see is a dust seal, it's a light press fit in the bore, I typically drill a small hole in it & screw in a sheet metal screw then use the screw to work the dust seal out with wire cutters.. Now there's a snap ring, take the snap ring out & after that put a large drain pan directly under the seal... Start the engine & turn the steering wheel to full lock.. When you hit full lock it will pressurize that backside of the seal & pop it out... Sometimes you need to raise the engine off idle but usually not.... Now clean everything up & install your new seal... Its seal, big washer, snap ring then dust seal... Fill it with fluid & run it to make sure it stays dry before reinstalling the pitman arm..

Todays trick... First get the pitman arm off... You'll need a good puller for that... The first thing you'll see is a dust seal, it's a light press fit in the bore, I typically drill a small hole in it & screw in a sheet metal screw then use the screw to work the dust seal out with wire cutters.. Now there's a snap ring, take the snap ring out & after that put a large drain pan directly under the seal... Start the engine & turn the steering wheel to full lock.. When you hit full lock it will pressurize that backside of the seal & pop it out... Sometimes you need to raise the engine off idle but usually not.... Now clean everything up & install your new seal... Its seal, big washer, snap ring then dust seal... Fill it with fluid & run it to make sure it stays dry before reinstalling the pitman arm..
Great information, I will have to remember that one.

Thanks for the tip!

However, it seems the leak is coming from the other side. The side that has the lower steering shaft hooked up to it.

Well in that case, pull the column & work through the hole in the firewall, drill a very small hole or two in the seal & use a small screw to extract the seal.. I think 1/2" PVC pipe works as a driver...

The column has to be pulled? I was hoping I'd be able to just remove lower intermediate shaft, but if I need to pull the column, less messy than pulling the gear

Auto Transport Service
Back