• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 charger rewiring battery

oldmangarth

Local time
3:28 PM
Reaction score
Just starting the engine bay rewiring. Started with battery thinking it would be easiest. Noticed that my current battery positive cable "had" a black wire taped to it but previous owner cut it and left about 6" dangling from post. Got the new replacement and notice it has a full length black wire from positive battery terminal all the way to the starter. Where the heck does this attach at both ends? What is its purpose? Is it even necessary? Been looking for pictures but no luck. Sorry for the simple question for you guys but this is my first rodeo.

The smaller gauge wire goes to the starter relay stud on the firewall. I don't know how the car would have worked without it?
Just above the steering column near the wiper motor.
If it's an automatic then you have two wires down from the relay one to the starter and one to the neutral safety switch.

Ah. Just checked. Appears there has been a cable replacement in the past. Pulled the starter relay wire and it had a piece of red battery cable still taped to it where someone just cut both ends and then put a single red battery cable. So basically 2 separate cables instead of the combined I got. Wonder what else I'll find.

Auto Transport Service
Back