• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Coronet headlight/grille surround help

6TSEVN

Local time
1:44 AM
Reaction score
Recently disassembled the grille and surrounds to prep for paint and am having a tough time figuring out how to reattach the headlight surround back on. Has anyone done his before? They have the metal straps that seem to be pop riveted into the surround. These straps had a bolt that would secure the trim/surround to the body but whoever had this car before busted them all off so Im kinda lost. Here are some photos of what I'm talking about.

1-1.jpeg
1-2.jpeg
1-3.jpeg
1-4.jpeg
1.jpeg

They always break or strip out. A big pain in the rear end.

Remove the brackets-drill out rivets
remove the bad stud end
install a new stud
Install the brackets to aluminum-rivets

I’d recommend Using a stainless steel machine screw and nut so it won’t rust away again. There was 3 on each side, 2 top one on lower corner.

This bracket is original, the one with holes is home made.

36B1E80B-A8B6-44EB-83B1-6B981FD15778.jpeg

They always break or strip out. A big pain in the rear end.

Remove the brackets-drill out rivets
remove the bad stud end
install a new stud
Install the brackets to aluminum-rivets

I’d recommend Using a stainless steel machine screw and nut so it won’t rust away again. There was 3 on each side, 2 top one on lower corner.

This bracket is original, the one with holes is home made.

View attachment 1077320
Thank you I appreciate it, Ill see what I can do.

Do they make these brackets because I haven't found them anywhere.

How do you secure the stud end to the surround? Theres some kind of silicone used and its obviously not the way to do it.

You have to make it all yourself. Use a tack weld, or a good 2 part epoxy on clean metal.

Thank you I appreciate it, Ill see what I can do.

Do they make these brackets because I haven't found them anywhere.

How do you secure the stud end to the surround? Theres some kind of silicone used and its obviously not the way to do it.

The brackets are not repoped... they are hard to find.

I do not have any to sell.... but you may ask parts wanted.

bar1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back