• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 coronet restomod/pro touring build

1967coronet440

Local time
10:49 AM
Reaction score
Ok guys decided to start a build thread for my project, a bit delayed since I'm started already but better late then never.

A little background: pretty solid car my dad built about 8 years ago he fell on hard times and was going to sell it so I decided to buy it from him (bastard charged me 14k lol). I drove it for a couple years and Now I'm going through and upgrading everything, motor, trans, rearend, brakes,suspension, etc...

Motor is being professionally built by Chicago connection, it's a 440 block with eagle 505" rotating assembly, forged Crank, diamond racing flat top pistons with valve reliefs. H beam rods. Trick flow power port 240 heads, comp XR286R solid roller cam 286/292 .576/588, Harland sharpe roller rockers, haven't decided on intake yet either trickflow track heat or M1 most likely. Holley sniper EFI. Calculated compression should be 11.9:1ish should make 600+ hp. For the trans I'm undecided as of now but cope is local for me so I'm leaning towards using him. I just ordered a strange s60 (from dr diff) with 4:10 gears, 35 spline axles, s trac differential and chromoly yoke. for rear suspension I have a 4 link from Reilly motor sports. street lynx with Viking double adjustable coil overs and inboard mounts to clear a bit more room for rear tires. Addco sway bar. Front suspension I haven't started yet but I plan on going with poly bushings, Viking shocks, and a sway bar for now will do tubular control arms next year. I have the rear brakes already wilwood 12.19" rotor 4 piston caliper. Front brakes I'll probably go with the 6 piston caliper. Don't have wheels and tires yet but I'm leaning towards weld s71 18" all the way around, also an extra set with slicks for when I go racing. That's about it for now I'll attach some photos of before I tore it apart and where I currently stand. feel free to follow my journey and any advice would be appreciated.

IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0033.JPG IMG_0201.PNG IMG_0368.JPG IMG_0623.JPG IMG_0769.JPG

Cool project.
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think those big 18" wheels look wacky on these old cars.
Other than that, I'm all in.

I kinda like the modern look of the bigger wheel with the big brakes behind it, but we'll see I may not have any money left when I get to that point and stay with the current weld wheels lol.

IMG_0012.JPG

Awesome work! Keep the pictures coming! And it's really awesome you were able to get your dads car back! I know where my dad's car is and have offered to buy it a few times but the guy is not ready to part with it. Just a waiting game now.

Awesome work! Keep the pictures coming! And it's really awesome you were able to get your dads car back! I know where my dad's car is and have offered to buy it a few times but the guy is not ready to part with it. Just a waiting game now.
That's cool, hopefully you can get it back soon!

I kinda like the modern look of the bigger wheel with the big brakes behind it, but we'll see I may not have any money left when I get to that point and stay with the current weld wheels lol.

View attachment 403497
I like the look of the larger wheels as well and have been contemplating it for my 67 R/T. I have 15"s now.

But please don't go with modern wheels. Go with a something like a magnum looking wheel to keep it looking classic. Goes much better with the car.

I've seen a few people put the new charger wheels on a classic and it just looks really odd to me.

Here's the specs on the s60 I ordered, can't wait til it gets here so I can install the brakes and 4 link.

IMG_0916.JPG

I like the look of the larger wheels as well and have been contemplating it for my 67 R/T. I have 15"s now.

But please don't go with modern wheels. Go with a something like a magnum looking wheel to keep it looking classic. Goes much better with the car.

I've seen a few people put the new charger wheels on a classic and it just looks really odd to me.

no modern wheels, that was a picture of my set up on my charger srt I'm either going with weld s71 wheels or billet street lites.

IMG_0958.JPG IMG_0959.JPG

Also in the plans are this radiator from speed cooling and rollbar from Jegs

IMG_0960.JPG IMG_0961.JPG

Ya I'm pretty set on what I want I've been planning it out for quite a while, but I am open to suggestions as a lot of you have built many more cars than I have. Going back to the shop tonight to finish removing interior possibly weld in torque boxes

Got a little bit done tonight, cleaned up the front frame rails and wheel wells

IMG_0963.JPG IMG_0964.JPG IMG_0965.JPG IMG_0966.JPG IMG_0967.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back