• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 GTX FAN PULLEY PROBLEM

Sat1968gdt

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:50 PM
Reaction score
Background: Noticed that my thermostat housing was leaking and issue with the alternator. While looking at the leak my fan pulley had some wobble. Thought it was the pulley out of round.

Action: Replaced thermostat housing and thermostat; new alternator; new fan pulley. All went together fine but the fan pulley caused me some concern. It seemed to rub the bottom pulley on the harmonic balancer. Didn't think much of it. Fired it up and the contact was obvious. Shut her down and removed fan. Manually again rolled the pulley and it does touch and seem to have a wobble. I had checked the original and new pulley for round. No gaps when placed on flat surface.

Recommendations: I am thinking the water pump shaft or the fan attachment device/"star" are out of round. New water pump? The shaft seems tight, not sloppy. The current water pump I believe is the original. Anyone have ideas or thoughts? Make sense my explanation? Thank you.

10 posts in almost 2 years?
S L O W down, Andretti!
There are a wide variety of pulley sizes for these cars and many of them have no visible part numbers to properly identify them.
Grab the water pump flange and see if there is any movement other than rotational. You could bolt the WP pulley on backwards if you need the leverage. ANY movement other than rotational is bad.

the bolt holes for the pulley could be bitched up , the pulley mount and shaft on the pump could be bent or worn out.
recommendation:
thoroughly inspect pulley mounting holes and check for run-out . same for the pump shaft. a new water pump may cure it .

I have checked the pulley mounting holes and WP shaft for wear etc. No abnormal wear or slop. Purchased a new water pump and will give that a try. The fan mounting hub on the original WP could be bent. When I turn it I believe I am seeing a slight deviation from the other mounting tabs. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recommendations.

i have replaced the water pump, new fan pulley and crank pulley with new belt. Just finished putting together. Seems to have better clearance than before. Test will be tomorrow when I fire it up.

Started it up and still have the scrap/touch. I have pulled the fan pulley and will have 1/8 inch turned off the diameter. Talked with tech at 440 source and he stated that the pulleys are tight. That will definitely take care of the problem. All for now regarding this issue.

Auto Transport Service
Back