• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 GTX fender tag with a Z in the 3rd row.

ayeayemate

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
10:17 PM
Reaction score
Good Morning,
Trying to answer a question for a friend of mine. He has never seen a Z stamped on a fender tag in this location before. 3rd row under the numbers 2 and 3. Appreciate any info somebody may have. Thank You. Tim.

1967 Red GTX Fender tag.jpg

Looks like "521" versus "5Z1"

With no documentation, I'm going to speculate that it's an inspector's stamp. My Lynch Road '69 GTX has the identical stamp in a different location, next to the 26 for radiator size. It's not quite centered either.

Looks like "521" versus "5Z1"
Never thought of 521. Do you know what that code represents? I'll see the car this weekend and take a closer look. He did say it may be an inspector's stamp. Just hadn't seen one in that location on the tag.

That's the engine and trans combo

Take the tag off & read it frm the back side... That is a 7... A 7 under the T indicates the car has a tachometer...

Okay, lets get some clarity... You say third line... Fender tags are read from the bottom line up....

On 67-68 tags there are numbers upper case letters & lower case letters above the rows...
Which row?

Baby Blue had the same stamp, but it was vertical. Low option car, lots of room to place it.
Thanks Guys.
I'm going with an Inspector stamp too. I'm a little slow on the uptake, but that's because I grew up in the GM/Ford world.
Stupid lucky, a few years ago to pick up a 68 Charger and through a complete restoration of the car. I've learn and have lend on you guys a Ton.
Must have done something right. Of all the cars I had through the years.
The Charger is the only car my son has told me that needs to go in the will.

IMG_3747.jpg

Thanks Guys.
I'm going with an Inspector stamp too. I'm a little slow on the uptake, but that's because I grew up in the GM/Ford world.
Stupid lucky, a few years ago to pick up a 68 Charger and through a complete restoration of the car. I've learn and have lend on you guys a Ton.
Must have done something right. Of all the cars I had through the years.
The Charger is the only car my son has told me that needs to go in the will.

View attachment 1466209
Mercy, she's pretty. Congrats!
Woodbridge, eh? I lived and worked there for a while in the 80's while in my 20's.
Lots of memories...lived in the Hylton-built subdivision with all the states names for streets
and worked in the industrial park right next to it.
Kinda raw and rough in those days...
Last time I was up that way, a quick tour showed me how incredibly different the place was
from when I was there, all built up and high dollar looking.
Amazing.

Mercy, she's pretty. Congrats!
Woodbridge, eh? I lived and worked there for a while in the 80's while in my 20's.
Lots of memories...lived in the Hylton-built subdivision with all the states names for streets
and worked in the industrial park right next to it.
Kinda raw and rough in those days...
Last time I was up that way, a quick tour showed me how incredibly different the place was
from when I was there, all built up and high dollar looking.
Amazing.
Ah yes, The State streets. Have a couple of Gearhead buddies who live in that neighbor. Hylton continued building homes across I95 from Woodbridge and name the development Dale City. I took a new job and came to live in Virginia after working in Saudi Arabia. Bought a house on Princedale Dr in 1985. Travelled all over the world the last 35+ years. Manage to hang onto the house all this time. It is paid for and has decent size 2 car garage that I can get the Charger into. Not going anywhere anytime soon. I'm still working and the wife doesn't want to leave the area with our children and grandchild still here.

Ah yes, The State streets. Have a couple of Gearhead buddies who live in that neighbor. Hylton continued building homes across I95 from Woodbridge and name the development Dale City. I took a new job and came to live in Virginia after working in Saudi Arabia. Bought a house on Princedale Dr in 1985. Travelled all over the world the last 35+ years. Manage to hang onto the house all this time. It is paid for and has decent size 2 car garage that I can get the Charger into. Not going anywhere anytime soon. I'm still working and the wife doesn't want to leave the area with our children and grandchild still here.
Oh trust me, I'm well familiar with Mr. Cecil D. Hylton; I worked for a PE firm that did most of Dale City's layout and
engineering. In fact, I'm old enough to remember when the Hylton office was in Marumsco Plaza!
It was estimated at one time he was responsible for half the development in Prince William County!
That's staggering stuff...and little chunks of Dale City and Woodbridge are laid out today off work I did on one of
the most prehistoric CAD systems in existence back then while at that PE firm.

One of his tricks of the trade was to build those split-levels cheap as he could - what he called "9/10's" - where
they had everything the competition had, just 10% smaller. He figured most folks didn't care or wouldn't
notice.
Turns out, he was right. :)

I tried getting a fender tag for the guy who helped me bring the Charger back from the abyss. He has a 1965 Sport Fury. The Vin and a partial build sheet is all he has.
There is one guy I got off the forms. Never return my phone calls or emails. There was another guy. I thinking he's is in the Midwest somewhere. The quote was in the neighborhood of $400.00. A little to rich for my blood. Let me know if you have any better luck. All the Best..Tim

Auto Transport Service
Back