• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 GTX hubcap resto,paint

rich hourigan

Local time
1:14 AM
Reaction score
Good afternoon, once again im turning to the FBBO family for some answers. i am restoring a 67 GTX and came across a dilema regarding the wheel covers. i polished them up real nice but of course the black paint needs to be re-painted, has anyone done this before? i have a technique that ive used before on similar items but was wondering what kind of paint and sheen should the black portion be... i dont believe that the manufacture used primer prior to painting... any suggestions would be appreciated. thanks Rich
IMG_1761.jpg
IMG_1762.jpg

These were likely masked, with an overlay or something (not taped), and then paint dusted in. If they were mine I would mask the areas off and use a ‘trim black’. My go-to is PPG SXA9000

could you recommend a trim paint in an aerosol thats close to the ppg? also what sheen would that be, flat,satin, semi gloss or gloss ? thank you for replying

could you recommend a trim paint in an aerosol thats close to the ppg? also what sheen would that be, flat,satin, semi gloss or gloss ? thank you for replying
That PPG is an aerosol already. If you don’t have a PPG supply local you can find SEM Trim Black a bit easier. I like that too but the SXA looks a little better to me. Trim black would be satin IMO.

Hard to see in the picture but this tail panel was done with the PPG aerosol.
E7525061-4342-426D-9EC7-5B9AE68FAF66.jpeg

that grill looks fantastic, i dont have a ppg dealer near me but im sure i can order it from somewhere ... would you suggest any kind of prep to the hubcap before spraying? does the painted area need to be scuffed ? Or just a wash with wax and grease remover.. thanks again

Testor’s model enamel paint. Does a fantastic job!

Auto Transport Service
Back