• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 GTX Larger Alternator

Lbrick87

Local time
9:30 AM
Reaction score
I’m building a 1967 GTX for a customer and have a couple questions regarding the charging system.

The car is a 1967 GTX, it’s a 440 non a/c car that is getting a Procharger and a FiTech fuel injection. We’ve relocated the battery to the trunk and have run 4 gauge wire from the battery to the start solenoid.

We have a Griffin radiator with 2 - 11” pusher fans (puller fans wouldn’t clear the power steering relocation), MSD distributor (without a box), Aeromotive fuel tank with a 525 LPH pump (wired directly to the battery).

Summit Racing has a 100 amp and 130 amp alternator that are both internally regulated.

My questions are, how do I bypass the regulator/ ammeter to keep everything inside working and can I run the alternator wire to the starter solenoid or should I run a dedicated wire to the battery in the trunk?

Last edited:
I'd run a dedicated wire from alternator to battery in trunk.

Run a fused wire from battery or alternator to your starter relay to supply operating power to the car/cabin. Or keep the stock charge wires in place and bypass ammeter as it will be ineffective with a wire direct to starter relay or battery.

You can certainly use the starter relay as a busspoint. Not my preferred method.

If you are putting a cut off switch in, that is a consideration also. Too many variable left open to provide a solid answer.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back