• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 gtx

djraiser

Local time
4:59 AM
Reaction score
help, want to move springs inboard, put the biggest slick and wheel combo. looking for someone who has done this. i have no problem splitting the wheel wells. i want to move fast on this. putting in a hemi, and a brake. used for chrysler classic hemi shootouts, and bracket racing. help me please!!!!!

thanks,
dj raiser

If you're gonna split the wells you're probably gonna have to move the rails as well.
Quick way? Take it to a chassis shop and have it done

you will probably only gain a inch by splitting the wheel wells before you will hit the frame rails, other than that your only option is to back half the car which is not quick or easy!

With splitting the wells you may get a 295 tire or a 12" slick with proper rim backspacing...

The 66 I bought already had the springs moved inboard and the previous owner had chopped the wheelhouses out. I am forced to split the wheelhouse and widen them. I may modify the pinchweld flange on the frame rail to gain the maximum clearance while I am in there anyway. Like 440 brew says, My calculations are similar to his. If you are looking for anymore rubber to the road than 12" you may want to consider back halfing the car which is a huge job for an experienced guy...or girl.

big tires

this is my 67 I had the springs moved w/mopar kit,8pt cage,frame tied w2x3. the tires were bought before the rear was cut so I could stuff them in,these are M/T N50-15 on 10" wheels and are almost 12" at contact, I belive to go bigger you need a 4 link and coilovers hope this helps..

6-7-09 005.jpg

6-7-09 021.jpg

Hey RAiser, Had Jay Vitez do mine, hes from our area. I can fit a 30 x 13.00 slick on a 15 x 12 with 6 1/2" backspace. The car has a mono leaf and cal trac bars. I will look up an article from Hot Rods Project Super BEE and post the link, it give step by step details and dimensions.

Raiser, here is the link to the article from Hot Rod, its dated material but should help you out. Their is also some good info on the "Big block dart" web site. Good Luck. Dan

Hey RAiser, Had Jay Vitez do mine, hes from our area. I can fit a 30 x 13.00 slick on a 15 x 12 with 6 1/2" backspace. The car has a mono leaf and cal trac bars. I will look up an article from Hot Rods Project Super BEE and post the link, it give step by step details and dimensions.

Hey dantrap, was this done on a 66/67 B body with the stock rear differential used? I thought the 13" would fit, just concerned about tire/ body contact due to body roll. Do you have any pic's to share?

Hi 66, mine was done on a 69-b body. The conversion work (cutting & Welding) would be the same. But for any modification I would measure your setup before purchasing any wheels or tires. Raiser is a local drag racer from WNY and has been around long enough to know that. The information i sent is a guide for the step by step process. hope this helps.Dan

going with a 15x8 4.5 bs mickey thompson wheel, 29.5x10 slick with caltracs. low horsepower hemi. should work well.

Hi 66, mine was done on a 69-b body. The conversion work (cutting & Welding) would be the same. But for any modification I would measure your setup before purchasing any wheels or tires. Raiser is a local drag racer from WNY and has been around long enough to know that. The information i sent is a guide for the step by step process. hope this helps.Dan

Knowledge is wealth dantrap, Thanks!
Love the stance of that 67' just looks mean...

Last edited:
I dont believe you even have to relocate the springs with that size tire combo.

Ya, going up Saturday morning to see old school cars, hope they dont get to much breakage like the last time the Gasser were there.

So, what do you 66/67 guys say is the largest tire/slick you can fit once the leaf springs are moved inboard using Mopar Performances relocation kit?
In stock form I currently run a 15x7 w/4in bs on 275x60x15 with NO tire rub.

Auto Transport Service
Back