• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1967 Satellite - rebuild or replace with after market A/C?

Max440

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
I have a 1967 Satellite - This is a A/C car. The A?C box is all there. I believe it needs heater core, evaporator, at least one vacuum pod plus normal rebuild gaskets etc. So is it worth all the parts etc or just go aftermarket?

In my opinion, if you have all the parts, you should refurbish the original. Here are some reasons why I say that (again, just my opinions):
  • You maintain the car's originality. An original A/C car is cool (pun intended).
  • The original system was engineered for your car - you know it will work and fit well.
  • You avoid having to buy all the parts and custom install an aftermarket system.
  • I think it will likely be more expensive to buy a whole new A/C system than to refurbish the old parts.
If the compressor is an issue, then you can buy just a newer style compressor rather than refurbish the huge unit Chrysler used, although, again, I think it is cool that you still have A/C on the car - use the original if you can. My 73 340 Road Runner is an original A/C car, and I maintained the original system. The A/C works great in it.

By the way, my 70 Air Grabber Road Runner did NOT come with A/C, and I custom fit a Classic Air system and hid the installation as much as possible. This worked better for that car because (a) the car never had A/C and (b) I wanted to hide the compressor. This is a nice system too, so I think either way you go, if installed properly, will work well.

Hope this helps, and I am sure others will chime in too.

Hawk

In my opinion, if you have all the parts, you should refurbish the original. Here are some reasons why I say that (again, just my opinions):
  • You maintain the car's originality. An original A/C car is cool (pun intended).
  • The original system was engineered for your car - you know it will work and fit well.
  • You avoid having to buy all the parts and custom install an aftermarket system.
  • I think it will likely be more expensive to buy a whole new A/C system than to refurbish the old parts.
If the compressor is an issue, then you can buy just a newer style compressor rather than refurbish the huge unit Chrysler used, although, again, I think it is cool that you still have A/C on the car - use the original if you can. My 73 340 Road Runner is an original A/C car, and I maintained the original system. The A/C works great in it.

By the way, my 70 Air Grabber Road Runner did NOT come with A/C, and I custom fit a Classic Air system and hid the installation as much as possible. This worked better for that car because (a) the car never had A/C and (b) I wanted to hide the compressor. This is a nice system too, so I think either way you go, if installed properly, will work well.

Hope this helps, and I am sure others will chime in too.

Hawk

Thanks for the response. I do not have any parts outside the firewall. so probably use a Sanden or something like that. If I went aftermarket got lots of holes to weld up on the firewall plus the cold air returns in the car itself. So allot of firewall work - So if I can find parts I wold rebuild it - I talked to Classic Air and based on what i told them they were thinking 1600 to rebuild plus freight both ways - that unit is heavy too! But could even be more depending on what they would find. I think I would have about 1,000 in it if I can get the parts I need or rebuilt. I have used several after mrket A/C units in other cars so I know whats that is all about - Yea, this is a 383, automatic, ac, car with buckets. typical rust - engine and trans were gone when I got it. Almost done with all the sheet metal, floors, frame repairs, window channel repairs, etc. . Then a zillion hours to block it all out and paint. Cannot put windshield back in until I get heater and dash finished. thanks again for the response. I will be poting pics of parts needed - maybe some one can seer me to a source.

Thanks again

Repurpose the old system with a modern compressor. I install aftermarket air in b bodies for guys using classic auto air and in my opinion if you have a car with stock ac, then the stock system is the way to go. I attached a pic of the aftermarket system which I don't prefer over stock.

IMG_1658.JPG

Last edited:
Repurpose the old system with a modern compressor. I install aftermarket air in b bodies for guys using classic auto air and in my opinion if you have a car with stock ac, then the stock system is the way to go. I attached a pic of the aftermarket system which I don't prefer over stock.

View attachment 384456

thank you. do you have any pics showing closeups on firewall and interior pics of unit?

Here are some pictures of my 70 Road Runner with the (mostly) hidden Classic Air system during construction. Hope these help.
IMG_3819.JPG
IMG_3823.JPG
IMG_3825.JPG

thank you. do you have any pics showing closeups on firewall and interior pics of unit?
I can take what you want to see but this is the classic auto air system and well documented on their website if you dig around.

Yours, being a factory ac car, I personally wouldn't go with this system

Here is what I have on my phone right now I'll take some more for ya if you like

IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1632.JPG

thanks - I talked to classic auto air today. They have evaporator, heater core, seals etc. They do not have a water control valve and its hard to find. If your heater control valve is origional OEM they have a a rebuild kit. Mine is all original and the rebuild cost is 160.00. So going to send that off, I need a vacuum actuator that is not available so gotta find the one in need. I need what appears to be the vacuum pod that works the heater floor vent - I will post pics in a few mins

Nice car! who's master cylinder and power brake booster? need those too

I had to get a new condenser, expansion valve, and heater control valve, plus had the compressor, dryer and clutch rebuilt plus new hoses for 134a conversion, and got in around 1500 using all the original components. Only odd thing with this conversion is having to add an external cutoff to the compressor with the 134a, the valve in the compressor is removed as to prevent freeze up. So why not stay with original if you can afford to do it.

And its nice, blows pretty cold, but I don't use it much here in Colorado, but I like the original look!
20140117_180845small.jpg

I had to get a new condenser, expansion valve, and heater control valve, plus had the compressor, dryer and clutch rebuilt plus new hoses for 134a conversion, and got in around 1500 using all the original components. Only odd thing with this conversion is having to add an external cutoff to the compressor with the 134a, the valve in the compressor is removed as to prevent freeze up. So why not stay with original if you can afford to do it.

And its nice, blows pretty cold, but I don't use it much here in Colorado, but I like the original look!
View attachment 385039
Very nice engine compartment! Well done!

Very nice engine compartment! Well done!

View attachment 385039

very nice - going to stay original if I can find parts. I really do not want to weld up all the holes, cold air return etc if going aftermarket. Actually considering time etc stock is cheaper (if can find parts needed at some reasonable cost))

I had my factory AC unit under the dash for my 67 GTX rebuilt by Classic Air and bought a new under hood kit from them. I was close enough I could drive it to them and pick it up in Tampa. I think all the new under hood components plus box refurbishment cost about $2,200 and I still needed to install. If I had it to do over again, I would just buy the ClassicAir conversion for a non A/C and call it good. All new parts, cheaper in total, no old school A/C vacuum lines and matched to new under hood kit. Only thing is it requires new holes cut in the firewall and the old AC holes plugged. They are not the same spot. I am not sure I will ever get my system running consistently. I had it cooling at 60 degrees twice, and 48 degrees once all briefly before losing a charge. I am not sure the 67 A/C will ever cool as efficiently as a all new matched unit. Classic replaced the heater core but refurbished the evaporator core, but it is leaking months after reinstall. Classic thinks I probably tweaked a weld on the evaporator lines reinstalling the evaporator core. Could be, I was trying to line it up from the dash side by myself. Removal and replacement of the heat and A/C under dash box is a PITA!

I am replacing the evaporator core for $300 and trying again this week.

Auto Transport Service
Back